The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 f250 and tow 12k fifth wheel snout once. Per month

What is best oil and best viscosity to use.
I am going to keep this tuck for a long time.

·
13 Posts
Lighter the viscosity greater is the oil so i guess you should go for the oils which has a less viscosity factor..for gasoline engines an oil with a 5w20 viscosity is great while for a diesel engine 15w20 is ideal..i thing that solves your issue..

·
7 Posts
What is best oil and best viscosity to use.
I am going to keep this tuck for a long time.
The best oil is one that meets the API standards for low sulfur fuel, which is CJ-4. The best viscosity depends on your climate/temps. Pulling a heavy trailer creates a lot of heat, and that is why Ford suggests moving to a 40 from a 30 (grade).

·
18 Posts
The best oil is one that meets the API standards for low sulfur fuel, which is CJ-4. The best viscosity depends on your climate/temps. Pulling a heavy trailer creates a lot of heat, and that is why Ford suggests moving to a 40 from a 30 (grade).

I agree. But the climate when your cold starting is what I would consider. The 15w40 is good, but I use the 5w-40 due to the winter months. They're talking about a cold winter this year, and the 5w flows quicker to protect the metal parts when cold, but maintains the 40w viscosity when fully warm. It's fine year round.

I happen to talk to BlackStone where I get my samples run, and they stated there isn't much difference between full synthetic oils, as long as you buy what is recommended for the vehicle and is a quality brand name. They had as sweet sale for Mobil1 at PepBoys when I visited my daughter and I bought what I could.

·
7 Posts
But the climate when your cold starting is what I would consider.
That is certainly part of it.

The 15w40 is good,
Only if you live in south Florida. 15W is winter grade, but it still doesn't flow worth a damn when cold.

Mobil 1 is fine, but they are dishonest and the price is a rip off. They are group 3 base stock produced, but price like it is PAO, which is what it used to be. Before the battle with Castrol.

·
18 Posts
15w-40 is good and exceptable, but I think I mentioned I use 5w-40. After reading onto this, it is good for most anywhere, summer or winter, except way north in the middle of their winters, then a 0w-40 would be best. But either way, I believe in a full synthetic oil that meets my vehicle specs.

·
7 Posts
They dynamic viscosity of 15W (the lower number and higher are not even comparable) is 3 times higher, 2940 mPa s where as a 5 is a much better flowing 1090.

And since most engine wear occurs at start up, put two and two together. You can use whatever you want, but why use a lubricant that doesn't flow as well when cold. The statement about synthetic is also correct. It isn't a 5 or 10 grade that is modified to work like a 30 or 40 at operating temps. It is already a 30, it just doesn't stop flowing when cold. In fact, if it is typical group 3 (hydrocracked base stock) the numbers on the can are there to make customers feel better and not be confused.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts