The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any info on the 9.0 liter International engine. I noticed several for sale in the truck paper, but I need more info on the engine.

What is the hp and tq ranges? Is it a wet or dry sleeve? And what is the expected life cycle of these motors? Or is it just a high maintenance boat anchor?

How does it compare with the dt466? Or is it closer to a 3208 Cat?

I went to the IH site and they don't even list it under the rebuilds.

Thank you in advance.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
We have one at the county highway garage in the bucket truck. To sum it up its pretty gutless, rattles like a bucket of bolts, and smokes all the time....LOL I believe they are around 200hp. Im pretty sure that they are dry sleeved. Its closer to a 3208 or 555 Cummins. IMO I would stay away from them

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
They are not wholely worthless, but close.

Lots of people like them, and if cared well for, they can provide very good service.

They had major head gasket problems in the first years of use, and never made decent power, but had very good Tq off-idle (a function of size (9.0L) and being non-turbocharged).

They are LOUD, but relatively easy on fuel.

Finding a tech familiar with them 20 years after production ended will be challenging, and most repairs are far more involved than on other engines.

Briefly, close to that "boat anchor" you spoke of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm am glad I ASK FIRST, b4 making a leap. I saw one listed at 325 hp, but said nothing abut the torque or after cooler. Now I know why. Thanks guys.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
kotflbus said:
I'm am glad I ASK FIRST, b4 making a leap. I saw one listed at 325 hp, but said nothing abut the torque or after cooler. Now I know why. Thanks guys.
No way 325HP, not even 225 for that matter.

No comparison to a DT466.

·
3,754 Posts
way dept had one. NO NO Way 325 horse, not 225, maybe 175. That thing couldnt skim cream off milk.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
kotflbus said:
ROFLMAO!!!!

325 HP!?!?!?!? NO WAY IN H#LL.

I don't ever recall seeing a HP rating of over 190 HP for the 9.0L, everything we had was either 170 or 180 HP.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
How could 9 Litres be kept so tame & restrained??? I mean we're talking about NINE LITRES of displacemement. You'd think you could build a lot of power with that !!!:shrug:

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
I too have never seen an automotive one over 180 HP or so. I have read on this site I think that there were turbo versions for tractors and whatnot but never seen one.

All the MD V8 diesels from this vintage had similar power outputs. The 3208 was 210 HP or so when NA, but it was 10.4 liters. However it was a bit stronger as it could hold a turbo and stay together for 250 HP at least, and a lot quieter too. The 8.2 was the other competition and had similar HP rating NA, I think 195 but it was spinning 3000 RPM or better to get that power.

The last 9.0L I knew of in a 1986 or so, S1600 got replaced by a DT360 out of a wreck or something when it blew up some years back. I was not sorry to see it go.....

Birken

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duke said:
How could 9 Litres be kept so tame & restrained??? I mean we're talking about NINE LITRES of displacemement. You'd think you could build a lot of power with that !!!:shrug:

That was my same thoughts, more or less a downsized L-10, except with a longer stroke. I've heard others say an L-10 could be pumped up pretty good and thought maybe the 9L was IH's answer to the L-10. Oh well, the year isn't half over and once again, I thought wrong.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
kotflbus said:
That was my same thoughts, more or less a downsized L-10, except with a longer stroke. I've heard others say an L-10 could be pumped up pretty good and thought maybe the 9L was IH's answer to the L-10. Oh well, the year isn't half over and once again, I thought wrong.
I would think the 9L was IH's answer to the 3208 CAT more than the L-10. The 3208 & the 9L were both V-8's....as was the 8.2L. There was even Mack V-8's and a CAT 3408 V-8 in bigger trucks.

It almost seemed like America's obsession with the V-8 infected the diesel community during the 70's & 80's in the medium duty market......glad that's over. LOL

The only decent V-8 diesel to emerge from all of them was the Mack Superliner V-8 and maybe the 3408 CAT.

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Well you have to consider what they were doing at the time.

The Cat 3208 was first invented in the very early 70s. To fit in the same place as the monster V8 gas engines such as the Ford 534 and various International offerings. They hadn't yet figured out how to squeeze all this power out of a 6 cylinder so a V8 was the best way to get the displacement they needed into the very short nose trucks or cabovers of they day. The 9.0L and 8.2L came along a bit later as the medium market picked up in the late 70s/early 80s. They must have not put too much thought into either one though because the 3208 outlasted them all. AFAIK it was still being built into the mid 90s for off-highway applications and that only because of emissions. But for any engine to have that long of a run is a good one.

Birken

·
590 Posts
well said birken, out of the old school medium engines,the 3208 was my favorite. i have had decent luck out of the 8.2 engines,but they had there pit falls, i have had one 9.0 litre, but bought it to resale, seemed to be a good runner. i have been told one of the ways to keep the 9.0 running correct, was to keep the valves adjusted properly. i have met a few that really liked them, but most shy away. getting it worked on, and parts availability is what keeps me away from them..

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
navistar45 said:
well said birken, out of the old school medium engines,the 3208 was my favorite. i have had decent luck out of the 8.2 engines,but they had there pit falls, i have had one 9.0 litre, but bought it to resale, seemed to be a good runner. i have been told one of the ways to keep the 9.0 running correct, was to keep the valves adjusted properly. i have met a few that really liked them, but most shy away. getting it worked on, and parts availability is what keeps me away from them..
I think there's 2 common denominators that makes all these engines disliked:

1. Too much displacement for their respective power output

2. V-8 design more difficult to work on.

I would also say the 3208 was the best of the bunch.

·
455 Posts
Navistar had a I6 engine that outpowered the 9l before it was made the dt466 the 9l came about as a alternative to gas engines in school bus chassis thats where you will find most of them were installed. shortly after it coming out the 6.9 was made for a cheaper smaller bus engine .

as for the 9L I dont think I can think of anything good to say about them ... oh wait yes I can they are for the most part GONE and we never see them a the dealership I work at anymore.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Docluv2577 said:
Navistar had a I6 engine that outpowered the 9l before it was made the dt466 the 9l came about as a alternative to gas engines in school bus chassis thats where you will find most of them were installed. shortly after it coming out the 6.9 was made for a cheaper smaller bus engine .

as for the 9L I dont think I can think of anything good to say about them ... oh wait yes I can they are for the most part GONE and we never see them a the dealership I work at anymore.

I have something nice to say about them! Their great from keeping your boat from moving!:Thumbup:

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
A while back, I had posted a competiton pulling tractor that was powered with a 9L, twin turbos, all kinds of Hypermax work done on it..... It was pushing over 1,000HP in an old IH farm tractor.

·
13 Posts
have a 9L (DV550) in one of our farm tractors. IH 1468. For the most part its a good runner, only bought it 'cause its rare to still see one running so well. New bottom end last summer... can still get almost all parts through the CaseIH dealer including pistons and gaskets. Any of our turbo'd inline six's will run circles around it pulling a disk, but is sure sounds good with no mufflers:Thumbup:
I think the oil pump leaves a lot to be desired but I hear as long as you can keep the oil cool, the engine will run forever... oh yeah it's got one of those Bosch inline injection pumps that only injects fuel to 4 cylinders under no load which pretty much sucks.

sorry if this is off topic, but I don't think the motors are completely useless yet. They look way cool with chrome stacks in a farm tractor.

·
13 Posts
Duke said:
A while back, I had posted a competiton pulling tractor that was powered with a 9L, twin turbos, all kinds of Hypermax work done on it..... It was pushing over 1,000HP in an old IH farm tractor.
Are you talking about the Reborn Binder out of New York... runs off alcohol and is one sweet piece of art!

·
590 Posts
Duke said:
I think there's 2 common denominators that makes all these engines disliked:

1. Too much displacement for their respective power output

2. V-8 design more difficult to work on.

I would also say the 3208 was the best of the bunch.
i should have added the other thing to my post that keeps me away from all other engines, the DT466 , nuff said ............

1 - 20 of 34 Posts