The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
New to the forum. Just got my new SD F350 last friday. Ive put on about 600 miles on allready. Things are working great.
This is my first diesel. Anything I should be careful with while breaking it in, and also should i be adding any fuel additive for day to day driving?
Thanks Kevin

·
16 Posts
Mine will be a month old in another week. Absolutely superb fuel usage and I REALLY like that huge tank.

ALTHOUGH, at about 800 miles or so, the mileage started falling off, more and more every day and was starting to concern me a bit, as I hadn't seen the 17's since the day I drove it out of the lot.

Early this morning it did it's first regen at 1173 miles. Meter said it was then down to 12.2 mpg. I thought to myself, "Oh Gawd, this thing is gonna end up being worse than the 6.4 ever was".

But as the day wore on, it slowly crawled back up there to the low 20's again and 64-65 mph seems to be the sweet spot.

Darned thing had me scared there fer a while, tho. :>)

Allan

·
42 Posts
First diesel, dang it.
Now go buy a 15 year old dodge and drive it during the week to make you appreciate it.

·
65 Posts
I was running mine home from West Virginia today (unloaded) and i was getting 18.2 on the trip meter, regen kicked in about 200 miles into the trip and knocked me down to 17.5, by the time i got home, another 150 miles, i was back up to averaging 18.3

Id like to read exactly whats happening during the regen process.

·
3,533 Posts
In the Ford It injects fuel into the exhaust stroke to add enough heat to clean the particulate filter.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.
I now have 830 miles on it. Still working great. Getting about 18 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving.
A little more background on my purchase.
2011 SD F350 XL
I run my own electrical company. We are a full service shop that does voice and data all the way up to complete wiring of 6000 sq foot and larger homes.
I have always had chevy 3500 vans. However I got very tired of sitting along side the road waiting for tow trucks. My vans would hit a certain milage mark, and then go to hell fast. After taking the last van to two different dealers, and neither one being able to fix it I tossed in the towel, and raised the white flag. I always figured there was no way chevy could screw up the small block 350, but with grand effort they have.
My last episode started with a 1000.00 dollar repair bill, and with in 50 miles the problem was back. Same simptoms, and problem. The van would not start. The dealer had the nerve to say it was something I was doing, and refused to any repairs or tow it in. I was stuck on the side of a mountain with no way home. That was when I said I would never buy another GM product. I could care less if the Duramax gets 1 more mile to the gallon, or can pull a hill 20 seconds faster. GM can rot. No way will I give that company another dollar of my buisness. I am 40 years old, and this is my very first Ford ever. So far I am pleased.
Kevin

·
36 Posts
Update.
I now have 830 miles on it. Still working great. Getting about 18 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving.
A little more background on my purchase.
2011 SD F350 XL
I run my own electrical company. We are a full service shop that does voice and data all the way up to complete wiring of 6000 sq foot and larger homes.
I have always had chevy 3500 vans. However I got very tired of sitting along side the road waiting for tow trucks. My vans would hit a certain milage mark, and then go to hell fast. After taking the last van to two different dealers, and neither one being able to fix it I tossed in the towel, and raised the white flag. I always figured there was no way chevy could screw up the small block 350, but with grand effort they have.
My last episode started with a 1000.00 dollar repair bill, and with in 50 miles the problem was back. Same simptoms, and problem. The van would not start. The dealer had the nerve to say it was something I was doing, and refused to any repairs or tow it in. I was stuck on the side of a mountain with no way home. That was when I said I would never buy another GM product. I could care less if the Duramax gets 1 more mile to the gallon, or can pull a hill 20 seconds faster. GM can rot. No way will I give that company another dollar of my buisness. I am 40 years old, and this is my very first Ford ever. So far I am pleased.
Kevin
i learned that lesson back in 72, had a ford ever since. just bought a new 450 KR. super nice and rides great !!!!!!!!

·
16 Posts
Not fer the regen part. That is diesel fuel fired. The Urea is dumped in at the end of the process to "sweeten the pie". :>)

Allan

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
how often do you have to put urea in it
It should take 4-5 gals of DEF every 7000-10K miles. Driving habits can change avg useage of DEF. You should fill @ every oil change. (if you don't get a "low DEF mess before that) First Fill is free @ your local Ford dealer.

randy

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now up to 1060 miles.
I freakin love this thing. Can't wait for the canopy and ladder rack to arive. This is a work truck. Once its done it will have parts racks and shelves in it.
If I install larger tires, and a lift will that void the warranty?

·
307 Posts
It will void parts of your warranty. If you have a clunking drivetrain, shimmy in your steering, etc.. they can void it. Basically anything that was touched or uses your new parts is a no-go.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took the family to Seattle from Vancouver Washington this week end. Mostly highway driving. Averaged almost 19 miles to the gallon. Love that. My old tahoe would oly get about 15.
Finally getting the new canopy ladder rack and tool boxes tomorrow. Cant wait
Kevin

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well things are not going so good.
Got the new canopy and ladder rack. Now my milage is way down. Went from 19 on the highway to 14.6. Can't believe it would lose that much. Not very happy.
Anyone else seeing milage loss at around 4000 total miles?
Might call the dealer, and have it looked at.
Kevin

·
65 Posts
I am at 15k miles and have noticed nothing in the way of MPG changes, loaded or unloaded.

How many miles are in this sample, if its not a high mile sample, hand calculated, then you could have a DEF regen or 2 in the sample size which would drastically change the milage reading.

I get 17-18 consistently on the hwy at 65 mph. (unloaded) If i could keep my speed at 60, I get around 19-20. I just cant seem to do 60.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts