The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought a Case skid steer today and need to get a trailer to haul it.
I'm starting a part time material hauling business. Just moving landscape rock, cleaning horse barns, snow removal etc. The skidsteer weighs 6600
pound and I'm buying a 14k lb rated trailer. I know, probably don't need one that heavy. I want to be able to use it to possibly haul cars and trucks if the occassion arises.
If my business doesn't work out after a year, I'll want to sell my skid steer, trailer and other equipment.
So here's my questions. I want fold-up ramps because I don't care about wind drag while hauling a skid steer around town but, do most people like the fold-up or stow away. This if for my possible resale.
Also, I would prefer to have a rail around it. But I realize that isn't great for car hauling (but still doable). Again, for resale, which would be better, rail or no rail?
Thanks for all opinions.

(I realize I looking on the negative side and my possibility of failure on my business but, I've got to be realistic)

·
3,754 Posts
D-Man said:
Well, I bought a Case skid steer today and need to get a trailer to haul it.
I'm starting a part time material hauling business. Just moving landscape rock, cleaning horse barns, snow removal etc. The skidsteer weighs 6600
pound and I'm buying a 14k lb rated trailer. I know, probably don't need one that heavy. I want to be able to use it to possibly haul cars and trucks if the occassion arises.
If my business doesn't work out after a year, I'll want to sell my skid steer, trailer and other equipment.
So here's my questions. I want fold-up ramps because I don't care about wind drag while hauling a skid steer around town but, do most people like the fold-up or stow away. This if for my possible resale.
Also, I would prefer to have a rail around it. But I realize that isn't great for car hauling (but still doable). Again, for resale, which would be better, rail or no rail?
Thanks for all opinions.

(I realize I looking on the negative side and my possibility of failure on my business but, I've got to be realistic)
I like fold over ramps, and imo for the price the kaufman 25000gvrw 25 ft trailer is right on for the money. I realize pry way more hten your thinkingb but if you ever want resale, I have seen many sell for practically new price many ask 6500 used. That would allow bigger brakes, and if you wanted to move the rocks AND skid at the same time to unload and still not worry about going over gvrw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two considerations.....I am in the landscape/excavation business and often I side load stuff on the trailer. Thus, don't care for sides. If you don't have them and it has stake pockets and you need side, sideboards are easy to do.

Ramps, I am old and my back is not as good as it used to be!!! I don't like handling my 80# + ramps. If I am just haluing the machine only, I use a hydraulic tilt bed and it is easy to load and easy to boom down. I can be on the road in half the time with it compared to ramps and climbing over sides to secure the load.

I spent years hauling my bobcat on a sided trailer with flipups without securing it. Lucky I didn't ever have a big swerve!. Now have a DOT and I have to secure.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I think the stow away ramps are really slick if i was going to do ramps. Myself? I'd get a hydraulic ramp deck over.

·
3,754 Posts
Hydraulic tails are sssssssuppppppppeeeeeerrrrrrrrr slick, you can haul weight "on the ramp" could go to loading dock height if need be. Those are slick too

·
3,754 Posts
Nothing against your trailer duke but I have never liked tilt decks, thats just my opinion. I know around here esp if youg ot a long one, if you try to get to the front and it is icy the machine might not climb up there, some maachines are worse then others. Then you have to dismount the machine when it isnt tied down. I personally dont like tilt decks they do have a few advantages but in the winter and w/scissor lifts etc they can sometimes be a pain. Lots of hydraulic tails have a low enough load angle you can load even low machines like that.

·
4,827 Posts
:whs

Plus, not all skid steers have good parking brakes.

Not only snow, but also greasy gumbo. Would slide on a wood deck. Wood can be slick when wet, too.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
No offense taken! :Handshake:

I disliked my ramped trailer because the tractor would spin/slide tires on the ramps if they got icy, they're also very narrowand the ramps are steeper, too increasing the pucker factor. My tilt trailer actually has only a very slight tilt and with the full width beavertail, loading/unloading feels safer. I honestly never had a moments trouble with loading.

Not sure what parking brakes have to do with anything since the tractor is chained & bindered down. :shrug:

Different strokes for different folks, but after owing both types, I'll take my tilt deck. I hate folding up ramps. They're heavy, rattle like crazy and think they look kinda lame.:pointlaugh

F

·
0 Posts
I don't like tilit decks when it is slick out, but if I was looking to do what you are, I would have a tilt deck. They all have their advantages/disadvantages. If you are going to be moving it around alot your back is going to love a tilit deck. I just rented a ~9K lb. mini excavator and used their new tilt deck. Loved it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
The biggest downside of a tilt to me is the upfront cost. I can barely afford the cheapest ones when they're new. Funny listening to the "kids" rip your equipment when it's not the finest quality most expensive equipment money can buy.

My next new trailer will probably be a Econoline.:pointlaugh No "CAT" parts in it, so I guess it's cheap junk. LOL

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what I bought: 16+2 dovetail, bumper pull, wood deck, with fold up ramps with "feet", tandem 7k axles all wheel electric brakes, stake pockets and D-rings. I should have it in two weeks.
The trailer is a Texas Pride. I don't have alot of knowledge of these trailers, and I should have asked you guys about them before I ordered it but, I hope it will be a good trailer.

·
3,754 Posts
Duke said:
No offense taken! :Handshake:

I disliked my ramped trailer because the tractor would spin/slide tires on the ramps if they got icy, they're also very narrowand the ramps are steeper, too increasing the pucker factor. My tilt trailer actually has only a very slight tilt and with the full width beavertail, loading/unloading feels safer. I honestly never had a moments trouble with loading.

Not sure what parking brakes have to do with anything since the tractor is chained & bindered down. :shrug:

Different strokes for different folks, but after owing both types, I'll take my tilt deck. I hate folding up ramps. They're heavy, rattle like crazy and think they look kinda lame.:pointlaugh
I honestly in my opinoin on say a 25+5 w/a 5 ft beaver tail and ramps dont htink they are that steep. I agree ramps can sometimes be a pain to line up with, thats where the hydraulic tail really shines, but as I said theya re pricey. The "ramp is as wide as the tralier, you can put your load "on the ramp" so all deck space is usable etc. The parking brakes come into factor when you get the machine on the trailer stop set the parking brakes and you hope and pray as you dismount the machine and get out to tip the trailer down or tie it down that the machine doesnt go flying. Some manufactures, have better parking brakes then others, and some people maintain their stuff better then others. I know folding ramps can be a real pain, we have some trailers w/3 foot wide ramps and the springs are broke,thats when you use the machine and a chain to flip them over. The rental compnay I work for has everything from cronkite dove tails (bever tail tilt decks) to ramped trailers, to a single and double axle rollback, a kaufman semi trailer (beavertail w/ramps) a low boy and a hydrualic tail. Ill take the lowboy or hydraulic tail annnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyy day. I know our scissorlifts wont climb the roll backs. OUr landscap tractors, pettibones, etc even w/the machine off and the parking brakes set dont like to stay put when you load them and get out of the machine. Muddy and icy decks and rubber tracks dont get along on tilt decks and rollbacks. Sometimes if your hauling multiple pieses of machinery and you got a light one on the back you cant even get the trailer to tilt. Its different strokes for different folks, obviously thats why they make so many. Hope you find one that youlike and works for you.

·
3,754 Posts
D-Man said:
Here's what I bought: 16+2 dovetail, bumper pull, wood deck, with fold up ramps with "feet", tandem 7k axles all wheel electric brakes, stake pockets and D-rings. I should have it in two weeks.
The trailer is a Texas Pride. I don't have alot of knowledge of these trailers, and I should have asked you guys about them before I ordered it but, I hope it will be a good trailer.
Hopefully the 2 ft beaver tail is long enough. You might wanna buy some jack stands or bring some cribbing with you to shove under the back of the trailer. Sometimes them feet sink into the mud and the ramps will "kick out) or try to flip back up on you. If you put enoguh cribbing or jack stands on both side of the rear to come w/in say 2 inches of the bottom of the trailer, when youg et the machine back there, the trailer will hit that you can unload and then unloaded the trailer wont be touching the cribbing again. Also keeps you from lifting the back of the pickup off the ground and havingt that roll awayLOL it has happened more then once. Before you take finaly possession of the trailer, look it over very carefully. Make sure they apinted and the underside, if you ordered it that way, make sure the stringers are straight( some companies use bent sub rate steel on the underside), etc. You should be able to turn your brake controller all the way up and drag all the tires esp empty.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
OUr landscap tractors, pettibones, etc even w/the machine off and the parking brakes set dont like to stay put when you load them and get out of the machine
When you drive up the ramp of a tilt deck, the trailer tilts to the flat position after you drive on it, so where can it slide if the trailer deck is level? :shrug:
All we do in my neck of the woods is put the buckets down.:poke: Works better than an emergency brake for me and my machines never slid anywhere. :shrug:

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out! :Thumbup:

·
3,754 Posts
Duke said:
When you drive up the ramp of a tilt deck, the trailer tilts to the flat position after you drive on it, so where can it slide if the trailer deck is level? :shrug:
All we do in my neck of the woods is put the buckets down.:poke: Works better than an emergency brake for me and my machines never slid anywhere. :shrug:

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out! :Thumbup:
I have had tilt decks that lock in the up or down position and you have to lower it, i have seen some that lock up. I have seen to where you put the bucket down on a skid and itll still slide. LIke is aid just waht you prefer and are used to:Thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts