The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have some basic questions.

I want to upgrade my brakes and was wondering what y'all have discovered to be great for a great price.
As well as shocks.
And what are good mods to change other than tuner and lifts.

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I am looking for best quality for price and what is the best stock transmission out of the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7? Or is it best to rebuild or buy aftermarket?

·
Registered
49 Posts
People have varied opinions about brakes. Some have good luck with parts store brakes, while others are not even happy with higher performance brakes, such as Hawks.

When it comes to shocks... Bilstein 5100 series hands down. I have not found a better shock out there.

As far as transmissions go... With a 7.3L you are stuck with a 4R100. There are a few very reputable transmission shops that build them very good though. BTS and John Wood are the main two that come to mind.

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People have varied opinions about brakes. Some have good luck with parts store brakes, while others are not even happy with higher performance brakes, such as Hawks.

When it comes to shocks... Bilstein 5100 series hands down. I have not found a better shock out there.

As far as transmissions go... With a 7.3L you are stuck with a 4R100. There are a few very reputable transmission shops that build them very good though. BTS and John Wood are the main two that come to mind.
Thanks Justin. I had looked at Powerstop front and rear disks and pads. They're $385.59 for the whole set.

I was thinking I "needed" a dual shock, or more wanted to do a coil over transfer. But everyone tells me its about 5,000 bucks.

I had read that at least the 6.0 tranny could be compatible with an adapter plate? My tranny doesn't need to be changed anytime soon. I'd just like to know for the future on that one

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Justin. I had looked at Powerstop front and rear disks and pads. They're $385.59 for the whole set.

I was thinking I "needed" a dual shock, or more wanted to do a coil over transfer. But everyone tells me its about 5,000 bucks.

I had read that at least the 6.0 tranny could be compatible with an adapter plate? My tranny doesn't need to be changed anytime soon. I'd just like to know for the future on that one
Give those brakes a shot I am sure they will be an upgrade from any standard ones.

No need for a dual shock. A coil over swap will definitely cost some $$$. They ride nice, but it is hard to justify the cost.

The 6.0 transmission(5R110) is a completely different beast. It has a TCM whereas the 7.3L doesn't. A lot of guys are swapping the 4R100 into 6.0L trucks, but not vise versa.

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 6.0 transmission(5R110) is a completely different beast. It has a TCM whereas the 7.3L doesn't. A lot of guys are swapping the 4R100 into 6.0L trucks, but not vise versa.
I knew about the TCM and figured it could be brought in as well. But I'll stick with the 4R100. Thanks again for the help

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know of a one piece headlight that fits directly into a 2002? With no cutting it trimming

·
LLROT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brakes I ended up going with were the Powerstop Extreme Truck and Tow, semi-metallic. I read somewhere that ceramic last longer but damage your rotors faster. These are drilled and slotted rotors so no thanks.
Stopping power when cold is about the same as the stock ones. But when you've been running around a while, these brakes stop pretty damn well. Good when hot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts