The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering trading my 6 liter ford for a 5.9 cummins because of fuel mileage and and a few other reasons the interior of the dodge dosent seem quite as nice but i think i would be happier with the engine i have heard horror stories of dodge transmissions any reason to worry should i make the swap

·
Registered
699 Posts
If your going to add power, then some upgrades are going to be needed. anything over about 50 added horse.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Tranny or engine your choice I'd go with tranny! Sell it before it bites you!

·
365 Posts
You will give up a little on the interior going from a Ford to a Dodge. I've owned both, and I'll take the Dodge any day over the Ford when it comes to the diesel engines. (For gassers I'll take Ford over Dodge) . Personally, I have never had a problem w/ a Ford or Dodge tranny. Chevy.......different story.

·
35 Posts
the fuel milage is not much better on The dodge. I went from a 05 F350 6 leaker that got 13 mpg to a 06 3500 that gets 13.5 mpg.

·
79 Posts
Ditch the Ford and get a Laramie or a leather sport. Mileage average on my 06 is 17.5MPG unloaded cruising, and 15 working & towing with 35" tires without adjusting the speedo. Juice w/attitude, good intake,and open exhaust helped alot.

·
754 Posts
Stock tranny on a Dodge is just fine.....until you add more power. IMO adding 50 horse wouldn't cause any problems, tranny will last quite a while. If you go over 100 horse added it's only a matter of time before it lets go. Anything in between is in the grey area.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kummins said:
Stock tranny on a Dodge is just fine.....until you add more power. IMO adding 50 horse wouldn't cause any problems, tranny will last quite a while. If you go over 100 horse added it's only a matter of time before it lets go. Anything in between is in the grey area.
i defianatly agree with him.....i am runnin a bully dog power pup with a stock trans and it seems to be fine. but if i start addin a few more things it wil be lookin not very good for the trans

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
well if you keep under 100hp you wont instantly fry the stock trans, under 50 and you should be safe for quite a while

·
Born in the USA
2,651 Posts
The Cummins motor is the best thing in my truck hands down, its the rest of the truck that sucks. Ford's interior and overall truck IMO is a lot nicer. I am kinda thinking of trading or selling my truck outright and buying a 6.0L Ford. I have replaced so many parts on my truck and still have yet to fix my broken seat, leaky cab lights, seal around the rear window (it makes an annoying sound on the highway...thank God for loud radios!!), rusting front bumper, and some other little stuff.

I have run an aftermarket program in my truck since 10k miles and now have almost 85k. Its not the tranny that doesn't hold up, its the fuel pump and injectors that don't hold. If you keep fresh fluid in it, and don't romp on it off every stop light, than you should be fine with the minor bolt on parts such as intake, exhaust, and programmer. When you start pumping out some power like BillM and the rest of the guys on this board, than you get into big $$$ stuff like the tranny.

Just my $.02.:Thumbup:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Patriot2500 said:
I am kinda thinking of trading or selling my truck outright and buying a 6.0L Ford.

Are you serious?? i could maybe see for a 7.3L, but a 6.0L?!?! Why would you do that?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Let him do his homework! Hopefully he reads before he buys! But in case HE doesn't........ listen very carefully NO!!6.0 NO!! BAD DODGE OWNER! Now go fix your truck say thank you And be glad you didn't make a horrible mistake!

·
Born in the USA
2,651 Posts
Why would I be making a horrible mistake? I know plenty of guys who have had 0 problems with their trucks. I don't plan on modding the 6.0L at all except for some LED lights and tinted windows. I am done with the modding of any vehicle after what I went through with this truck. I am very disappointed in this truck. Parts seem to fall off of it, the interior has so many creaks/groans/gremlins, paint quality sucks, interior is very cheap, etc... I didn't buy a 3/4 ton "heavy duty" truck for it to fall apart or spend a lot of time in the shop.

I know you guys have your opinions about these trucks, and thats fine as you are entitled to have that. I have done my homework on the Ford's as well as talked to many people who have them. Most of the ones who mod them are the ones who have problems. Even if I have a problem, it will be nice to take the truck to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty. I don't have that with this truck as I voided it as soon as I modded it. We all know how critical DC is with the warranty department and the only mod-friendly dealers in my area have closed.

Who knows, I may just buy an F150. Don't really need to have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and with fuel being $4/gallon and the cost of maintenance on these trucks, it may pay for me to drive a gasser again.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but again, just my $.02.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts