The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only owned it for three weeks. Just had Predator motorsports (who did the conversion) completely go through the whole vechical, and change all fluids etc. When I drove it home I noticed that the transmission temp.s were running much higher than "normal" About 240-250 deg. When I told the owner of predator about it he said that was pretty much normal. then today while driving 70 on flat terrain. I got the "Hot transmission" message and the temps were close to 300Deg. I stopped and I had trans mission fluid dripping from the front end of the trans. pan. I checked the level while in park at idle and it was like five inches above the hatched area marked hot. We made it home by driving 55 and it stayed hot but not over 240 at that speed...... next day I let it warm up to normal temps and checked trans fluid level and it's two inches above ful hot hatch marks. Temp. stayed @ 160 untill I climbed some hills then got up to 225. Have I damaged it by driving 250 miles while over full? Why is it leaking? is it coming out the vents

·
395 Posts
my opinion too much oil might make it a little warmer, i would think a mechanical problem creating heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my opinion too much oil might make it a little warmer, i would think a mechanical problem creating heat.
Well it got VERY warm, like 290. A mechanical problem like sliping? cause there was an Edge box on it an the prev. owner might have hot rodded it on a high power setting?

·
Ghost
628 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only owned it for three weeks. Just had Predator motorsports (who did the conversion) completely go through the whole vechical, and change all fluids etc. When I drove it home I noticed that the transmission temp.s were running much higher than "normal" About 240-250 deg. When I told the owner of predator about it he said that was pretty much normal. then today while driving 70 on flat terrain. I got the "Hot transmission" message and the temps were close to 300Deg. I stopped and I had trans mission fluid dripping from the front end of the trans. pan. I checked the level while in park at idle and it was like five inches above the hatched area marked hot. We made it home by driving 55 and it stayed hot but not over 240 at that speed...... next day I let it warm up to normal temps and checked trans fluid level and it's two inches above ful hot hatch marks. Temp. stayed @ 160 untill I climbed some hills then got up to 225. Have I damaged it by driving 250 miles while over full? Why is it leaking? is it coming out the vents
If it's only leaking out of the pan gasket you are alright (as far as leaks are concerned). If you know it's overfull like that and you don't have shop to work in. Take the filter off, dump out and put back on (repeat until you got the proper level). Overfilling a transmission will make it overheat.

I would get it serviced. Check it out. Make sure nothing is laying in the pan.

FYI, I don't know how easy those are to service. The Hummers I've been underneath have all had brush guards underneath it, might make it a pain in the butt to service. Something to check out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's only leaking out of the pan gasket you are alright (as far as leaks are concerned). If you know it's overfull like that and you don't have shop to work in. Take the filter off, dump out and put back on (repeat until you got the proper level). Overfilling a transmission will make it overheat.

I would get it serviced. Check it out. Make sure nothing is laying in the pan.

FYI, I don't know how easy those are to service. The Hummers I've been underneath have all had brush guards underneath it, might make it a pain in the butt to service. Something to check out.
I can get to a drain bolt in the trasns. pan. What would be laying in the pan?

·
1,052 Posts
Well it got VERY warm, like 290. A mechanical problem like sliping? cause there was an Edge box on it an the prev. owner might have hot rodded it on a high power setting?
If the trany was sound before the Predator I would try Synthetics they are more heat tolerant. How many miles on it? You did not say what fluids you used I would use Amsoil of course.
Hummers are not cheep why not go for the best.

The Live Nation Motor Sports Grave Digger had the same issue hot trannys Amsoil solved there over heating totaly.
Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the trany was sound before the Predator I would try Synthetics they are more heat tolerant. How many miles on it? You did not say what fluids you used I would use Amsoil of course.
Hummers are not cheep why not go for the best.

The Live Nation Motor Sports Grave Digger had the same issue hot trannys Amsoil solved there over heating totaly.
Bill
Trans. has 9k miles on it. yes it was sound. yes we went with all synthetics. I run Amsoil in my dodge.

·
Ghost
628 Posts
I can get to a drain bolt in the trasns. pan. What would be laying in the pan?
Hopefully...nothing. But if you service it and find something laying in the bottom in the pan, (any transmission). If you find parts laying in the bottom of the pan it's good indicator something is seriously wrong and the transmission will need to come out. Allison's are tough as nails though, they can take tons of abuse.

·
1,052 Posts
Trans. has 9k miles on it. yes it was sound. yes we went with all synthetics. I run Amsoil in my dodge.
I do know The GD transmission fluid was boiling out of the tranny and input shaft was failing, Coan is the tranny builder and they strongly suggested Amsoil as a solution.
Good luck
Bill

·
Ghost
628 Posts
I do know The GD transmission fluid was boiling out of the tranny and input shaft was failing, Coan is the tranny builder and they strongly suggested Amsoil as a solution.
Good luck
Bill
I've never heard of someone adding amsoil to fix trany problems. But starting off a new transmission with Amsoil works amazing.

·
1,052 Posts
I've never heard of someone adding amsoil to fix trany problems. But starting off a new transmission with Amsoil works amazing.
In the GD the tranys were new or not broken yet. Amsoil is heat tolerant so the fluid holds up better and the tranys are better off as a result.
I have solved several trany problem by just changing to Amsoil.
Bill

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
A while back, diesel power did an article about upgrades to the Duramax powered H1s. After the upgrades they took it on a test drive and noted the coolant and transmission temperatures where higher then normal. When they took it back to the shop who did the work, the owner recommended a larger radiator and transmission cooler. Maybe something you should look into as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:
Took 1.5 quarts out of trans. checked level when temp reached 175, it was in the hot hatched area. Drove it for 1/2 hour in hilly area trans temp got up to 200 but not hotter.

Reactions: CrowsSynthetics

·
Ghost
628 Posts
UPDATE:
Took 1.5 quarts out of trans. checked level when temp reached 175, it was in the hot hatched area. Drove it for 1/2 hour in hilly area trans temp got up to 200 but not hotter.
Haven't dropped the pan or anything yet? Good to here it's ok now. You should post pictures of that monster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Predator motorsports changed out the trns fluid and transfer case as well replaced filters and I drove it a hundred miles back home with no issues. RaN @ 160- 175 after some steep hills.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and I will post the type of fluid that caused the problem when I find out the name from Predator

Reactions: CrowsSynthetics

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here they are

Attachments

·
990 Posts
here they are
why didn't you just go with a h1 if you wanted a dmax and allison? not being a d1ck but the h1' are built so much more solid than the grocery gettin h2's are. nice ride though do you wheel any? we belong to the hummer club and travel all over wheeling its a blast bro..:thumbsup

its too bad they dicontinued the h1's. my one buddy has a 05 with a 10 in lift and 44 in iroks, e- locks the whole nine man that thing goes! we have a 90 998 with 2.73 gears, e-locks, 12,000 lb warn front and back, 40 in boggers, fording kit, bikini top, custom bumpers, on board air, and exo cage... i done all the work myself. i'll tell you i love working on ours very crude and basic in my eyes as far as functionality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts