The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a '01 2wd club cab with 155K on the clock. I got the truck for 7500 bucks, and it needs some work. The entire valley of the engine is covered in oil/grime.. which I've traced back to the turbo outlet.. Upon inspection, the oil appears to be coming from the crankcase vent, out of the valve cover and into the inlet pipe.. Then, gets sucked into the turbo and blown all over the place..

The air filter was about 5lbs worth of dirt/crap, and there's a film of grit/grease inside the inlet pipe. Someone didn't take care of this engine.. I'm guessing that the engine is worn out, and has a good bit of blow-by, due to sand/dirt contamination? Or, is there something else that I'm missing?

The trans slips on the 1-2 shift as well.. I tossed a SCT Livewire package on, and straight-piped it.. I also built a nice 4" inlet pipe/K&N filter. I replaced the spring in the regulator as well..

Is it easier to rebuild the engine, or get a reman? I have access to machine shop services, and I can assemble my own engine.. I just don't know anything about parts/prices and where to get them for this particular engine.
Is there a complete rebuild kit out there, from top to bottom, at a decent price?

I'd also like to address the trans.. What should I do with it? I plan on running upgraded injectors, turbo, and fuel system.. I'd like to make 700wtq or so, safely.. and retain my towing capacity.

Basically, I'm new to the 7.3, so I need as much help as I can get.. :)

Thanks..

Travis

·
523 Posts
I would prolly rebuild it if had acesse to a machine shop and what not.. that way you can build it to suit you and what you want.. I just put a reman Motocraft 6006 long block in mine .. bout $7500 Just for the motor after the core price it pulled off.. 24month warranty with unlimited miles.. as far as trans.. I hear RacerX builds a good one, BTS also..

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
:iagree
Build your own, you will know what's in it and that it was done right. Additionally it is a great feeling when it fires off for the first time and you hear that clack clack clack diesel rattle while knowing YOU built it yourself:woot:
As far as the Tranny, I'm not up on all the builders out there but I would go with one that is built for extream duty due to your future mods.
The biggest thing to remember is CHEAP SUCKS. Pay the extra dollars for quality parts, you will thank yourself in the future:Thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No doubt.. I'm in the high perf. business, so I know how costs can really add up.. ;)

I just don't have much diesel background.. But, hey, it can't be much different than blueprinting/assembling a gasser. I'll grab a FSM and get to it. :)

Also, does this engine have forged pistons from the factory? Or, does it have cast/hyper? What about rods?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts