The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to road trip out to Colorado in a few weeks. Gonna spend some time with my bro's family and head into the mountains. Anyway...I have a SS winter front that is kind of a PITA to put on and take off. Its currently on. Since we are heading into the mountains...I would like to keep it in up there. However...do you think I run an overheating risk driving out there with it in? It has small slits in it...but not all the way through it. I have a water temp gauge to monitor the engine...but no sense asking for trouble.

I have to completely remove the grill in order to get the winter front in and out.

:thanks: :thanks:

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
If the weather stays colder than 40*F I think you will be fine, and you are smart enough to keep an eye on the ECT so no worries.

·
6,337 Posts
I wouldnt worry... Kainers ran without a fan for a LONG time...

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Without a FAN and without AIRFLOW are not the same concept, but I agree, the risk is small if it exists at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I run a full winter front that has a zipper in the middle that opens a triangle ~10 inches across and I have run like that in 50 degree temps with no issue at all. I close it completely any time it is below freezing. I truly believe that these engines need the heat and thrive on it. I get decent fuel mileage in the winter now after installing the winter front.

I notice a 100* increase in EGT with the winter front completely closed off versus no front at all. So I cruise down the highway at 700* instead of 600*. The water temp (idiot gauge) never moves.

Are you going to be pulling or empty? I would guess empty which means "no worries".

·
748 Posts
I live in Colorado and I don't use one at all. It very seldom gets below 20 and even when it does, It could warm up to 50 during the day. Also, you will be working your engine harder going over the mountain passes which will keep the engine temps up. I would bring it, but I'll bet you won't need it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It will be unloaded...well...there won't be a trailer in tow anyway. My fat butt will be in it though. LOL LOL I leave the grill opening thats in front of the air intake uncovered, and have swiss cheesed holes in there so that there is still a supply of air going to the engine. Everything else is blocked off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts