The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do yall think about p-pumping a 24v? what are the pros and cons? how much would it cost, is it worth it, where to get a kit. what else do you have to do things like that?

·
3,514 Posts
Pros: The pump is more reliable and capable of higher levels of fuel.

Cons: cost, and you loose the electronic tuning ability of your pump. You can't change timing or fueling with the push of a button.

As for cost, schied sells a kit for 5g's. You could do it for less though. Pump, timing cover, custom lines, a cam, and a fuel system are the things that come to mind.

As for is it worth it? thats personal opinion. How long are you going to keep your truck and what are you using it for?
Sean

·
165 Posts
I would love to p pump mine. But i don't feel like spending up to 5g to put one on. Like sean said, its up to what you want to do with you truck. If you want over 700 on #2 only than yes, i pretty sure that that is out of a vps range. I like the fact of i can turn my fuel down at a push of the button. I would love to have over 1000 hp but i don't want to be broke spending all my $ on a pickup. But if your willing to spend the $ then a P pumped 24 valve would be bad @ss. If i had alot of money to spend then yes, but then again i would just rather wait and find a 98 12 valve and go from their.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Cons of a P-P-Pump...

1. No plug N' Play ability. All tuning must be done by hand. So ease of adjustment is difficult. VP44 enhance I just push a button and never get dirty...
2. Timing is fixed. VP44 has dynamic timing that varies to suit the load of the vehicle. Better for MPG numbers. So it requires special tools to reset the timing a P-Pump. Where with a VP44 you can boost timing with enhancements...

Pros of a P-Pump...

1. Yes a P-Pump will out last a VP44 pump...
2. There are cheaper to build power with...
3. Are fairly easy to work on...
4. Engine oil lubricated... Compared to fuel lubricated on the VP44...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Schieds or Haisleys has kits. The kits are NOT even close to 5k. You can not buy two VP44s for what you will have in the conversion parts. For 5k I would almost include the labor

·
Registered
550 Posts
if you just want a hot daily driver then you are crazy to p-pump your truck but if you are wanting to pull or race your truck then you should consider it. a friend of mine baught a 640cfm pump for 900 ready to be put on a pullin truck we are talking plungers barrels you name it it is a wicked pump, and then converted it for 1200. if you can do it that cheap then go for it. after i get my new truck that vp is coming out of the truck i have now and it will be time to go crazy.

·
3,514 Posts
DieselChick said:
Schieds or Haisleys has kits. The kits are NOT even close to 5k. You can not buy two VP44s for what you will have in the conversion parts. For 5k I would almost include the labor
Scheid sells the kit for 1788.97 excluding tax, shipping, p-pump and transfer pump. 4587.19 for the kit, the pump and the core charge (since you don't have a stock core) this doesn't include any tax, shipping or a transfer pump. That isn't a race pump either, thats a standard remann. So if you want the race pump you will probably add another 1500-2000 on to that price, plus labor on top of that. The conversion can be done for a lot less, if you get all your parts at a junk yard and are a good scavenger, probably 2000 assuming you do the labor yourself. But then again, you get what you pay for going with junk yard parts, its hard to tell.
Sean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts