The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to work this AM and halfway there (2 miles) the engine light came on. Got home and read the above codes with my SCT. All imply a Injector Circuit Low. The truck ran great the rest of the way to work and home.

I did some research and read several posts about poor/weak batteries, alternator issues, or FICM. I removed the FICM, checked all the various connectors in the general area, looked for chafed wires, etc. Installed the FICM making sure all three connector fully seated and heard two snaps (front and read clip) for each connector. I checked battery voltage and it was ~12.5v but was not able to do a load test like bismic suggested in another post. I'll need to take them somewhere for that.

Just for the hell of it I put the trickle charger on it this evening.

Nothings been done to the truck for a few years except regular PM - it's been running great. I just turned over 34,000 miles so I would doubt it's the FICM but I know crap happens.

Any ideas of things to check or have you seen this?

Bill

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a night on the charger I cleared the codes this morning. Nothing happened on the drive to work but going home they came up again, this time a couple more than yesterday but all still relating to injector circuit low.

Alt is putting out ~14.1v. Battery load test was good.

Based on what I'm reading it's sounding like the FICM. I need to check it's voltage output next.

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took the V output on the FICM:
Key on Eng off: 48.4 - 48.6
During Buzz test: 45.3 - 46
Engine on: 25-26

Already pulled it out. Just over 1000 hours on it.

I'll need to get one overnighted for Monday. Anyone have a recommended placed to get one?

Bill

·
3,051 Posts
FICM is toast for sure, ficm powerboard voltage converter half shell is now available from any Ford dealer, just swap it out with the new improved half shell and your good to go, no programming needed.

As I mentioned in my PM to you, and alot of us on here knew Dieseltech Ron from ebay who repaired many ficm's including my own spare that I carry. Was killed last May in an unfortunate car accident on his way to work early in the morning, here's a link to his last video that his son did...very very sad...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_43Gs63Bsqk

God Bless Ron for all his help to the diesel community.

Harry

Reactions: Smoker

·
3,051 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to partially hijack your thread, but when FICM came to mind I couldn't help but think about Ron.

Harry

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron was an outstanding person. You could tell he had a heartfelt desire to share his skill with the diesel community.

As you noted above about the half shell I did order one - should arrive Wednesday. None of the local shops had one. Thanks for the idea.

I hope the PS was the only thing wrong with it.

Cheers

Bill

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure the new ficm halfshell will fix your problem.

And yeah, Ron was a great guy.

Harry

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the half shell made by TechSmart in from BPD and we're up and running. Getting ~48.4v at 2k. At the same time I installed a more robust alternator from DC Power. I keep a cheap-o battery and charging system monitor in the cig lighter. After the alt install the charging readout went from about 13.4-13.6v to just over 14v.

Hooked up the 5vr over the holiday for a week of camp; it ran like a champ.

Attachments

·
3,051 Posts
Thanks for the followup Bill! Glad your up and running.

That half-shell looks to be good quality, especially like the made in USA part. Alternator looks good too. What is the alternator amperage rating?

Harry

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harry -I got the DCP 185A (spec at cold) unit from FICMrepair. This is a 68% amp increase over OEM. I don't need anything larger for what I do. Speaking to DC Power I was told they spec this unit at 100A idle hot (200°F) and 150A max hot. Whereas the most I could find out on-line and calling Ford the OEM unit put out 60A max hot.

I don't run with gel batteries so the 14.8v spec output is fine.

Two good improvements I've been able to quantify at this point is idle voltage immediately after starting when the glow plugs are on is a min of +1v increase. I was seeing mid to low 11s with OEM. Normal operating voltage has also increased about 1v. Running AC, stereo and the 5vr the change is almost negligible.

Bill

·
3,051 Posts
I will definitely make a note of this, probably replaced 3 or more alternators on my truck already over the years.

Thanks for the info Bill!

Harry

Reactions: Smoker

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is also my third alternator. First previous two were OEM. The first one failed within the first two. Even though the 2nd one didn't fail, the Vout was low and obviously the current output was wimpy.

We'll give it a good workout over the next couple months and see how it holds up.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts