The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question about this code (P0603 PCM Keep alive memory test error). I tend to be away from my truck about a week at a time and when I first drive it after getting home it takes a couple of miles to straighten itself out and run right, just like it does if you've had the batteries disconnected, then gives me no problems until after the next time it has sat for that long.
This is the only trouble code the truck is giving out, and I was kind of expecting it, but also very relieved that it was the only one! My question is this, should I get this straightened out ASAP, or is it ok to get my gauges and gauge mount, then take care of this problem ( it could be a couple of months if I do the gauges first ), or am I just asking for big time trouble if I put it off?

Thanks,
Stan.

·
6,337 Posts
Sounds like the batterys are going dead or dieing... Do you have to jump start it? Do you have anykind of tuner on the truck now? That code comes up whenever the voltage drops to a certin point or you clear the codes...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello CSIPSD, The truck cranks well, and fires right up...even after sitting for a week so I haven't had to jump it. up until last weekend there were no mods to it, but I just got a superchips tuner on Sunday and loaded the performance/tow safe tune in the truck. I just left for work this morning, so I won't know until next Wednesday if the KAM problem will cause me troubles with the tune loaded up. But I should also check the batteries when I get home!
Man I hope it won't give me troubles since I'll be "technically" unemployed when I get home! :pointlaugh

Stan.

·
6,337 Posts
It is a normal code anytime the computer is reprogramed or the codes eraised. KAM is Keep Alive Memory. I dont see any problems in your future...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a follow up here, I got home, the truck fired right up... I let it warm up a couple of minutes then was pretty easy on it until it had warmed up fully, it did it's usual chugging along after sitting for a week thing, then it figured out all it's info ( took about 4 to 5 miles tops ) then straightened out and ran like a champ! just like it always does. :woot:

I checked the batteries, they're good, I guess I should really look into it's short term memory problems though, the truck is coming up on it's 250,000 mile birthday in about 2,000 miles so maybe i'll get that straightened out as it's present.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts