The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of right now i have a 08 Lariat with the chrome grills and bumpers. I would like to have them painted the same color as my truck, so i bought a 08 xl oem grill off of ebay and it is plastic but it is also has that grainy looking/feeling type of texture. Im just wondering if this will be a problem when i bring it to the auto body for them to paint whether its going to still look like that grainy texture or is it going to be glossy like the rest of my truck??? Also am i going to have to worry about chipping or anything...??? Any and all info on this is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would sand the texture out or smooth it out as much as I can then hit it with a high build primer and sand again. and then I would put a layer of icing on and sand that again. If it is okay, prime and paint.

·
TDG Mafia Member #82
1,092 Posts
That shouldnt be a problem....When i did my wiper cowl and Mirrors they were textured i just pulled them down pretty smooth with 220 first them primed them once and took it all off with 400 and kept repeating this process until they were smooth as glass!!!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guy for the info... do you think im going to have to worry about chipping of any or no?

·
1,660 Posts
if its done properly then it will hold up just fine.

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
OH No KERR!! That is not true!!!
The space shuttle paint is good to go:sly:
Seriously though, never forget that there is more flex in plactic than there is in metal.
PROPER PREP IS A MUST!!!
~Mike~:usflag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts