The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there ever changed their parking brake pads? Mine are bad so I decided to replace them. I took off the rotors and am attempting to replace the pads. I can't figure out how to get to the springs to get them off. I checked my service manual for my truck and it doesn't offer any help. I can see the springs fine, but there is not enough room to get any tools in there to pull the springs off. The only way I can see to do it, is to take out the axles and the whole hub assembly. This seems way too complicated to just change some brake shoes.

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am replacing the parking brake shoes.

·
3,533 Posts
I have done a few and they are Ignorant, from memory I used a pair of bent needle nose pliers and a screw driver to get the spring into place.

Just a thought!

Reactions: bpogue

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got around to getting everything back together today, for the most part. I took it for a test drive and the brakes feel better. There is a pretty good squeal when I apply the brakes, but it should go away when the brakes break in. I still have to finish the parking brake work when I have time. The release is broken for the parking brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts