The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there is a brake controller or a way to modify an existing brake controller to have a switch to apply a full 12 volts to the trailer brakes to be used for parking for short periods of time, for example, I have to go thru a lot of gates and when it's cold and icy the trucks parking brake is usually frozen and wont hold on much of an incline. I could see a parking brake feature for trailers could be really handy for loading and unloading vehicles and equipment.

·
1,836 Posts
Put a switch around the brake controller, battery to brake. Flip the switch and the brakes see 12 v.

For the disconnected park ( short term ) replace the breakaway battery with a larger one, such as a lawn&garden and pull the breakaway pin.

There are brake handles w/cables for a park brake on a trailer.

keydl

·
1,836 Posts
Use 4 - 2 each side.

They also make sissors jacks for tandems. They have a curved shape to jack between the tires.

I like the overcenter lever that is also used as an E-brake handle on MD trucks with cables and levers inside the drum like cars.

·
9 Posts
I would be very careful if you do this. It is not going to take the solenoids very long to get very very hot with a full power applied.

·
50 Posts
I would be very careful if you do this. It is not going to take the solenoids very long to get very very hot with a full power applied.
^^^^^ THIS X 100 ^^^^^

Would work OK though for what it sounds like you want to do, just long enough to open and close gates. Could always install a resistor to drop the voltage slightly and cut down on the heat load but still would only use it for short periods.

·
1,836 Posts
I used the switch on the dash for mobile homes to throw chocks, never thought about cooking the magnets out. 14 ga wire for 3 axles would be a resistor though.

·
14 Posts
Brake Smart brake boxes are what we used. They have a setting where you can lock down the trailers brakes. Do a search on the net for Brake Smart brake box.

·
236 Posts
12V with no resistor to limit current will sure be hard on the magnets. How about electric gate openers! :thumbsup I like victors wheel wedges for long term parking / unloading / loading. Maybe a 1 Ohm / 250W resistor and toggle switch for short term parking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts