The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reaching out to TDG for some suggestions on my P-breaks.

Sitting at the local dealership having my parking breaks fixed while it was in for an alignment. I was quoted $560 to repair them because of some rusting and issues involved around a pin on the backer plates. I went back and the plates are rusted through but this seems like a crazy high bid to do the work.

I would normally have done the work myself but for many excuses I have not had the time. Am I right to feel I'm getting bent over on this deal?

Truck is the one in sig with 85k miles. As always TIA

·
2,126 Posts
Reaching out to TDG for some suggestions on my P-breaks.

Sitting at the local dealership having my parking breaks fixed while it was in for an alignment. I was quoted $560 to repair them because of some rusting and issues involved around a pin on the backer plates. I went back and the plates are rusted through but this seems like a crazy high bid to do the work.

I would normally have done the work myself but for many excuses I have not had the time. Am I right to feel I'm getting bent over on this deal?

Truck is the one in sig with 85k miles. As always TIA
Out of warranty=go somewhere else!

·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately for me this is the only place I would trust in the areaamd was working next door today so it was to convienient. The mechanic I usually deal with is out of town. This sux because I know him and he would shoot me straight.

·
415 Posts
The backing plates are rediculously expensive, and no options other than OEM.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
No matter what, you have to strip off the wheels, calipers, rotors and hubs, then remove the brake knuckle. That's a lot of work.

Depending upon the amount of damage from the pin pull through, you may need just backing plates, but it it's a rear blow apart, shoes, springs and other hardware also may be needed. Almost always the lower shoe adjuster screw is frozen.

Ford shop usually like to replace the entire brake assembly which includes all new hardware, and ofter that is the best situation. Not cheap, as I believe the list on the assembly is about $300-$350. You used to be able to get all the individual parts from Ford, but others are now going through Rock Auto and getting just the backing plates. It is less expensive if most of the components are reusable.

I've got some pictures in my Facebook photo albums under DIH brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts