The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The PCM code is on a white sticker ON the PCM, and the same sticker is also often found on the front edge of the driver's door frame near the upper hinge.

When reflashed at a dealer, the code *may* change.

·
1,171 Posts
If the PCM was reflashed the SCT Xcal 2 can read the strategy. You will need that to have tunes customized for your truck. Keith

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, so if I start out one strategy, will it always follow the same series of strategies or does the dealer have some choice in the programming. My truck has been reflashed 3 times now so I doubt its the same as the sticker by now. Just another reason to get an sct I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Any one reflash may or may not change the code from what it was with the "old" program.

So, lets say you start with code 1X234 and it gets reflashed before you buy it. The new code may, or may not be 1X234 anymore. The reflash updates the programming but not necessarily the operating system.

Think of the "catch code" as the operating system on a PC. There are lots of OSs... Win3.1, Win98, Win2000, Win2000Pro, WinXP, WinXPsp1, WinXPsp2 etc. You can run software (flashed version) on Win98, but not maybe on WinXP. Later software versions are generally more capeable systems.

So, when your truck's PCM gets updated, it could just be revised PROGRAMMING, or both programming AND the OS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts