The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to take a pcm out of a newer 7.3 and put it in an earlly 99 7.3?? :smoke

·
0 Posts
Yep...thats what I did. If you can find an NVK or PMT1 pcm...put it in there and never look back. One of the best ugrades I did to my truck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does NVK or PMT1 pcm mean? Could i just take it from any newer truck? I also have the ts 6 position chip what woudl that do to it? I'm new to the diesel world thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
NVK and PMT1 are "catch-codes", a "number" made up of numbers and letters (more often letters) that identifies that PCM version and software level.

Sort of like with PCs; An "AMD 1.1GHz w/WinXP", vs an "Intel 800 MHz w/WIN98".

Chips are typically locked to a particular Catch-Code, or small groups of codes, and are most often NOT transferrable from one to another.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's the link to a list of PCM codes.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/geninfo/pcmcodes.php3

Any DPC-422 PCM can be reflashed with a PMT or NVK program on it. A chip based on those programs could also be installed in it. The PCM in the 02 and 03 trucks controlled the guages and what not and I don't belive will work in the older trucks.

My point is that if you can't find a PCM with the code you want, get the correct model and have it reflashed or put a chip in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts