The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number for a Borg Warner turbo that is comparable to a Stage 1 PDI turbo. I have a 3406C Cat (3ZJ16402), screws cranked all but all the way out, makes in the neighborhood of 550 as it is. My PDI turbo is staring to lose a little bit of oil into the exhaust side and i am looking for a Borg Warner to replace it with. I do not want to use a Holset as that opens up a can of worms I don't want any parts of. I need more than the stock replacement, i get very little smoke with the setup i have now and would like to keep itty that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
I'm using the Borg Warner 175963 on a 5DS 3406 15.8 L (966 CI) motor with no problem at all. E-Bay and most places they can be had for about $1500 new with no core. It's pushing against a California DPF CARB legal filter and and fuel mileage is about the same as the Stage III turbo I spent over 3 grand for from the BS Eastern Speed Shop. ..The pipe is 99% soot clean compared to a DEF motor.. I can't run quite as hard as the Stage III tho but who cares as most of our heavy haul work is by the hour anyway.

·
515 Posts
I am just asking. Sorry. I just saw that in Lowboy's profile under his post. I know an OR6051 is a Cat turbo o f significant size. Just older blade technology. Makes good power but a little laggy on the git go. I think it crosses to a bw 198123 or whatever the new number for that is.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
What is a Michigan Stage 3 or6051?
Yep, that's a Cat early factory OR6051 housing and Michigan Turbo modded them a bit and sold them as a Stage III.. It worked pretty good back in the day but there's better turbos out there now..

·
515 Posts
Yeah, I know I need to update. Kinda like the op, I am not sure which way to go. I have a 3zj with 15.2 cr one piece pistons and 7w7031 marine 580 nozzles that were specced with aluminum one piece pistons. I am most sure I am well beyond the 550 mark even though my screws are not turned but a couple of turns from stock-if that. That is with the OR6051. Generally egt's stay around 825 loafing along at 1500rpm. I have to watch itemps more when I am empty going home in a crosswind. It is pretty lazy until you lay into it with a load. At that pointit stays above 23 or so until you hit a pull and then it buries the 35psi guage and pulls like a beast at1550rpm. The BW 177148 would be great around locally but there are alot of days I would have it pinned against the top reccomended wastegate settings for hours on end. That makes me question its longevity in my line of work. Also I kinda hate to give up that extra 5+psi of boost. Engine might live longer with 32psi boost than at 37 or so?..

·
229 Posts
From the reading I've been doing BW makes a 1.32 A/R and a 1.65 A/R. The PDI turbo is their own patented 1.45 A/R. The 1.32 is too small and the 1.65 too big according to them.

·
7 Posts
You may want to look into the big daddy from turbo supply in Joplin. I believe they’re a cartridge and compressor side of the 175963 but with a smaller non gated turbine housing. If you look around here, the part number for the turbine housing is there if you want to put it together yourself. Most of what I’ve read on here indicates the 14.6L 3406s don’t spool the 175963 very well.

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
Most of what I’ve read on here indicates the 14.6L 3406s don’t spool the 175963 very well.
A waste gated turbo like the 175963 spools up great on any of our 3406 motors. To run our old truck in California CARB requires us to pass the strictest emissions testing in the nation.

We applied and CARB requested that we install a sealed Smoke Opacity recorder on-board our 5DS motor for 30 days or 2000 miles. We were under no obligation and this was just to determine if the DPF manufactures huge new 600 HP rated DPF (filter) could be a viable emissions solution for the 5DS 966 cubic inch motor. The on-board tester was completely paid for by the DPF manufacture.

The opacity test results on the recorder were 25% under what their baseline was and we passed the test with no problem. The results gave us a green light to install the DPF on the 1998 379 long hood Peterbilt. After that the ARB evaluates and approves the DPFs to meet specific particulate matter or nitrogen oxide emission reductions.

I was skeptical as hell that the somewhat restricted exhaust flow in the DPF would give us any kind of fuel mileage or horsepower. I was wrong on both counts. No loss in fuel mileage and only a little top end loss which was acceptable. To my knowledge we have the only 5DS 3406 motor in California that's CARB certified.

The electronics, hardware and installation of the DPF is normally about 20K, the let me off for 16K. We run in California a lot although we are based in Nevada so the 16K beat buying a new heavy haul weed burner DEF truck for nearly 175K..

I can't believe how clean the dual exhaust pipes are with absolutely zero loss in fuel mileage. And we are still using the BW 175963 waste gate turbo...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts