The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do tuners work for any duramaxes, or just pickups? (The van has a 4L80E) and is there any exhaust companies that make exhaust for them? Thanks, my brother just bought one. It flys already, haha.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
TurboTPI said:
Do tuners work for any duramaxes, or just pickups? (The van has a 4L80E) and is there any exhaust companies that make exhaust for them? Thanks, my brother just bought one. It flys already, haha.
they work for the specific PCM. Same pcm, same tuner.

·
3,939 Posts
But the 4L80 won't handle that much more power...so watch out. Maybe +80hp?

Exhaust might be difficult, but I'm sure if you contact one of the big exhaust makers (MBRP, Magnaflow, Silverline, etc) they can help you.

I doubt the TIREBOYZ works for PPE, KB. Just happy with their product and service. Guess you could say the same thing for me about Merchant Auto.

·
Registered
390 Posts
no i don't work for ppe but i'm a happy customer and i didn't mean to step on any toe's so if i did forgive me..

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, and we found out it has a 4L85E. Must be a newer and stronger version of the 4L80E. We talked to a trans guy and he said the are actualy very strong trannys. The guy we talked to builds them for 1500hp blown bigblock monster trucks. We also found that the downpipe is the same part number as a pickup so that might make thing a little easier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
TurboTPI said:
Thanks guys, and we found out it has a 4L85E. Must be a newer and stronger version of the 4L80E. We talked to a trans guy and he said the are actualy very strong trannys. The guy we talked to builds them for 1500hp blown bigblock monster trucks. We also found that the downpipe is the same part number as a pickup so that might make thing a little easier.
I have a MBRP 5in system from a pick up, I have not installed it yet but from the looks of it the down pipe is a perfect match and the tailpipe will work out as well. Just need to connect the muffler and replace the intermediate with a strait piece.
Who was the trans guy ou talked to?

·
3,754 Posts
I woudlnt even try 80hp on a van w/that trans, id do a slight slight econ tune and exhaust.

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JoeyD said:
I have a MBRP 5in system from a pick up, I have not installed it yet but from the looks of it the down pipe is a perfect match and the tailpipe will work out as well. Just need to connect the muffler and replace the intermediate with a strait piece.
Who was the trans guy ou talked to?
Thanks, the trans guy is from TSI Tranmissons of Addison, IL

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thejdman04 said:
I woudlnt even try 80hp on a van w/that trans, id do a slight slight econ tune and exhaust.
We'll let you know how it holds up cause we're going to push this thing hard. It already smokes LBZ pickups (stock to stock) and it only has 3in exhaust. Cant wait for some tunes and bigger exhaust.

·
3,939 Posts
TurboTPI said:
But a 1500hp bigblock doesn't put out the torque that a diesel of the same power level does.....and torque is what kills trannies, not HP.

Have fun killing it.

If I were a betting man, I'd give you 10 days before the trans says, "No Mas"

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TheBac said:
But a 1500hp bigblock doesn't put out the torque that a diesel of the same power level does.....and torque is what kills trannies, not HP.

Have fun killing it.

If I were a betting man, I'd give you 10 days before the trans says, "No Mas"
Im not saying its going to handle 1000ft/lbs, but i think it will handle a tune and exhuast. Just cause its not an allison doesnt mean it junk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was running a Predator on my truck for a few months last year. I ran the 65 and the 85 tune all summer. I had plenty of hard runs and a night at the track with it. The trans survived but I hate the way it shifted under full throttle with the tune on it.
The Predator has drivability issues on the vans for some reason so I sold it. I have EFI live now which is much better for the van at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.