The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has a 15 ft bed

Its a 1980 in very good condition and the engine is too.

It has 4.10 rear end ratio and 44,000 rear suspension.

I think the engine is rated anywhere between 180-210 hp.

My question is would it be too under powered to pull 26,000-30,000 tons?

·
Registered
168 Posts
.......thats a ton of tons......ya.

jk, i think yo umean 26-30,000lb. is that including the truck?? as in a 30k gvw?

or 30k payload?

if it has tandems, it will probally be higher than 210 horse.

what are you pulling??

thats a tad on the heavy side. it will do it fine, but it won't do it fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DT466man22 said:
.......thats a ton of tons......ya.

jk, i think yo umean 26-30,000lb. is that including the truck?? as in a 30k gvw?

or 30k payload?

if it has tandems, it will probally be higher than 210 horse.

what are you pulling??

thats a tad on the heavy side. it will do it fine, but it won't do it fast.

This is the truck I just need something to get the work done.

It will mostly be dirt but some times rock.

I come from a sports car culture...could I possibly add some good cheap power adding mods?

·
Registered
168 Posts
it should be fine. i was thinking you were hooking a trailer to it. there are farmers around here that move more weight with old gas jobs.

if it has an inline pump you can turn it up a bit. but you need a pyro and boost guage first.

DT466's are about endless with the amount of power you can get out of them. you have the tractor pullers to thank for that one. they have a huge aftermarket.

what trans does it have?

·
Registered
168 Posts
there should be a tag on the valve cover or intake telling the hp rating

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DT466man22 said:
it should be fine. i was thinking you were hooking a trailer to it. there are farmers around here that move more weight with old gas jobs.

if it has an inline pump you can turn it up a bit. but you need a pyro and boost guage first.

DT466's are about endless with the amount of power you can get out of them. you have the tractor pullers to thank for that one. they have a huge aftermarket.

what trans does it have?
8LL trans

·
Registered
168 Posts
nice.....8LL's are stout.

it may be a 240hp motor....210 minimum.

thats a really good looking s series.

air brakes??

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
DT466man22 said:

air brakes??
I don't think 466's came 240HP back then. I'd guess it's 210-ish unless someone dropped a newer motor in it. My DT466 guide shows power ratings of 160, 180 and 210 were the ones available in 1980. There may have been an "emergency vehicle" rating a little higher. Look on the top of the intake manifold on the driver's side of the engine for a metal tag with the rating.

It probably has the old MWM rotary pump which is difficult/impossible to turn up.

Nice tandem.

My experience with bigger trucks is that you wouldn't feel much difference between 210 and 240HP. You would need 250-275 before you really feel a noticeable difference.

I uprated my truck from 210 to 250 and the difference is minimal down low and noticeable in the mid & upper RPM ranges.

Welcome to The Diesel Garage!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DT466man22 said:

air brakes??
Thanks I think its the 210 series

Maybe 180 I doubt its 240 its from the early 80s.

I was hoping maybe I could turn the power up.

The truck is being shipped to Panama.

I have 3 other ones I have another international with a Cummings motor rated at 390 HP she is a beast and I picked up a Freight Liner Detroit rated at 425 HP.

My Cummings Int

This one with the DT466 is the weakest one but diesel is expensive might end up being the most economical one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
those cummins motors are pretty tough.

what kind of detroit is in the freightshaker? old 2 stroke?

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
I think the first reply said it, it'll do it fine, just wont be very fast. Run it like it is.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
nevrenufhp said:
I think the first reply said it, it'll do it fine, just wont be very fast. Run it like it is.
nevrenufhp is right.

Here's the way you gotta look at the situation: All the "young uns" will tell you to "turn it up", but what they don't know is a 210HP DT466 has its' perverbial "back against the wall" working very hard to pull that heavy tandem around. You screw around with the fuel too much and you'll melt a piston. Then none of those young uns will be around to help you fix it. If it were a N-14 downrated to 280HP, then there's plenty of displacement and room to uprate the engine to a much higher power level.

Everything I read has the DT466 rated at a max of 210HP back in 1980 and although it has room to hold more, you need to do it the right way or you're on the brink of disaster.

If it's got an old rotary pump, there's very little information available on increasing fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duke said:
nevrenufhp is right.

Here's the way you gotta look at the situation: All the "young uns" will tell you to "turn it up", but what they don't know is a 210HP DT466 has its' perverbial "back against the wall" working very hard to pull that heavy tandem around. You screw around with the fuel too much and you'll melt a piston. Then none of those young uns will be around to help you fix it. If it were a N-14 downrated to 280HP, then there's plenty of displacement and room to uprate the engine to a much higher power level.

Everything I read has the DT466 rated at a max of 210HP back in 1980 and although it has room to hold more, you need to do it the right way or you're on the brink of disaster.

If it's got an old rotary pump, there's very little information available on increasing fuel.
Mines is rated at 220 hp

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Vladimir L said:
Mines is rated at 220 hp
That's cool.

I have all the DT466 data back to 1980 and the highest rating they show is 210HP. Either you got lucky or my IH DT466 book is wrong. ;)

At least you didn't get a 9L.

·
J Mann Backhoe Service
404 Posts
I hire out hauling when it is cost effective. The guy I use has a tri-axle with a dt 466 . He said it is no speed demon but it works. It is a 13 speed. He has hauled as much as 29 ton, I know he was over but anyway. It has been running like this for 3 years under this owner. He has 3 IH with dt runs the hell out of them. They work, and knowing this guy they are very economical.

·
590 Posts
the red truck is basiclly the same as mine. mine is a 85 model, with 5.38 rears, sittin on 24.5 rubber. when loaded, [13tons] it does ok, [210hp dt466/ 13spd tranny]. lots of hills will knock it back to about 45mph, or about 3 gears at least. drop the load to about 10 tons, and you can tell the difference in performance. if you plan on racking up lots of miles, or live in a very hilly location, i would pass on the truck, unless it's a bargin. a low powered truck, can make for a long day. if it were not for the 13spd, i shudder to think of my truck's performance. but for a part time truck that doesent see a lot of miles, it does just fine. best thing about it, like all my 466 powered trucks, i dont have to work on it! i cant say that for the last mack, or cummins powered tandem i had...

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
JT's416cat said:
I hire out hauling when it is cost effective. The guy I use has a tri-axle with a dt 466 . He said it is no speed demon but it works. It is a 13 speed. He has hauled as much as 29 ton, I know he was over but anyway. It has been running like this for 3 years under this owner. He has 3 IH with dt runs the hell out of them. They work, and knowing this guy they are very economical.
I know a guy with a couple newer IH triaxles with 275Hp DT466's in them and he said they run forever on very little fuel, but he always says "you need to bring some entertainment along for the ride to pass the time away".

·
JakeBrakeIH
88 Posts
Duke said:

if it has a rotary pump its quite simple to turn up...Ive done it to our 1086 with a 414 and our '78 IH corn truck with a 466...there will be a cover with 4 screws on it and there will be a wire that is run through one of the bolts that hold it down...if it is not cut that the pump has not been played with...take the cover off and there will be a screw that is horzontial with a jam nut(you cant miss it)...use a flat head screw driver and hold the screw while loosing the jam nut...then turn out the screw...now this is the part where it becomes up to you...our corn truck didnt smoke at all and sipped on fuel all day long but took us 3 days to get up a hill so seeing that we dont use it only a few weeks out of the year I chose to turn it up...I did only a few turns and tried it and really no difference...then I did some more then more...lots of power but way too much smoke and the EGTs were a little to warm for me...so I just simple turned it down a little bit till I was happy...very simple and only takes maybe 10 min TOPs for your first time...

as said before you def. would want to put a boost and pyro gauges in the truck...I know driving around the corn field I can watch my boost go down and EGTs climb over the course of the day because the air cleaner is getting full of dirt and its time to tap it out...

like said before, be careful and take your time...you can certianly go too far with turning the screw but a few wont hurt it...I mean how many farm tractor do you see in the fields rollin coal...the biggest thing is knowing when to back out of it and to let her cool down before shuttin down...good luck

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Sounds like the same proceedure for my in line Robby Bosch pump.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories on rotary pumps being turned up the wrong way. Local guy won't mess with them.

The fact remains that turning up these pumps is a very limited increase. I don't imagine there's more than 20-30HP left in them. Turning up mine all it would go helped, but in all the diesels I've turned up or tuned, you really need about 50+HP to start feeling a noticeable seat of the pants difference in a heavy dumptruck. In a underpowered tandem with 220HP, I would think you'd need at least 270 before you'd start to feel a noticeable difference.

Lots of guys see smoke and think they've got all kind a power. they just might be blowing unburned fuel out the stack.

·
JakeBrakeIH
88 Posts
Duke said:
The fact remains that turning up these pumps is a very limited increase. I don't imagine there's more than 20-30HP left in them.
:agreed: yes I couldnt agree more...its certianly not like plugging in a programmer or a tune in a newer pickup thats for sure...but it is something...doing this along with a little more RPMs and some timing does help...like I said before, our IH truck with a load of wet silage(around 10-12 tons plus the weight of the truck) you would have to split every gear(5+2 trans)to get going...you would have to wine out every gear to get the turbo to spool to help get up the hill...it made the truck much more fun to drive :smoke as well as easier...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts