The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i went to start my pickup and it was really hard starting. so i got it started and drove it a while and went to start it this morning, and it would not strat it would only turn over. but ever couple cranks it would act like it wanted to start and would just keep cranking. any suggestions to what might be the problem?

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
How old are your batteries? These engines take alot to get started and worn batteries won't do it.
It could also be the glow plugs have had enough and its time for new ones. Before going to that extreme though, check the glow plug relay. You can get a new relay from NAPA for around $30.00 (Ask for GPR109)

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the batterys are pretty new, and i replaced the glow plugs and relay in the winter of 05.

·
6,337 Posts
Man... there has got to be some kind of draw on that truck... Do what we did before, hook up to a rig for about 30 minutes and then try again...

·
Registered
687 Posts
hahahaha. When do I get to play tow truck again?:poke:

I concur with big Joe, there's gotta be something drawing. I count three times now with something similar to this happening.

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ckbed said:
hahahaha. When do I get to play tow truck again?:poke:

I concur with big Joe, there's gotta be something drawing. I count three times now with something similar to this happening.
when is the 3rd time i only remember 2. i dont think there is a draw it turns over hard but it just doesent want to start

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
Have you cleaned the screen in the fuel supply line? How clean is your fuel filter? Are you bleeding off oil out of the HPOP? Is the oil maybe low or fairly used up? Could be sticky IPR or bad ICP sensor. You state it turns over okay but just doesn't want to start, i am reading you right? When you said it turns over hard the other guys are thinking "slow" but i'm thinking by reading that it's turning over fast but still doesn't want to start, correct? Gene :mafia

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it turns over hard but does not want to start. i changed the fuel filter a couple months ago. had the oring in the back of the hpop changed on the 25th of june. the oil level is good. i dont know about the screen in the fuel supply line.:thanks:

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
That screen has sidelined alot of OBS guys you might want to pull it and check it out. Like I said earlier could also be IPR sticking open and bleeding off pressure or a bad ICP sensor, but I would personally check the screen first. have you scanned for codes? Gene :mafia

·
2,334 Posts
i had him try spraying wd40 in it and he said it fired up great so theres deffinately a fuel delivery issue...or an ipr or something bleeding back.. deffinately check out that screen and see whats going on..

·
Registered
687 Posts
you died this time, the time you took it to Joes, and the time you took it too schwabs cuz you thought your batteries were meurto. Tres, count em. Cole had the same problem now that I think about it, and he said his was that screen.

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
My money is on the screen, just heard of it happening too many times. Gene :mafia

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will check it out thank you

·
2,334 Posts
guys does anyone1 have pictures as to where its at? he tried to call me and ask but i dont know much about a obs to know.. anyone have any pictures so we could try to get it cleaned out

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
I don't have any pics but it is the supply line going into the fuel bowl from the pump. may be some one has a pic but I don't. Hope ya get it. Gene :mafia

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
No pictures but a quick tutorial from Baz's web page;

The fix is simple. Take off the cover over the fuel filter, 1/2 socket does the job. Place a towel or shop rag under the fuel regulator!!!! There are two 10 mm bolts just to the right of the fuel filter, take both out making sure you put them back the way they came out. Gently pry the fuel regulator away from the fuel filter housing, making sure you don't drop the o-ring. You will see a small screen about 1/4 inch. Using a small screwdriver or q-tip w.out the cotton ball on the end, wipe the screen and then put everything back together. The material you get off the screen I have been told is from o-rings. The fix will only take 15 to 20 minutes. If you find the regulator is blocked, clean it, install new fuel filter, and it shouldn't need to be done again for 12 months.

Replace your black cover and you are ready for a test drive to see if you made any difference. You should definitely feel a difference in throttle response. You will actually have more boost pressure.

On edit; While you have the cover off, you might want to shim your regulator. Here are the directions;

Wait until your engine cools some to do this (You will need a 1/8" BB for the shim). Next look at your fuel filter bowl and just to the right at the front will be a brass 19 mm plug on the fuel regulator. You will want to place a rag below this plug in case you drop anything. Next, remove the plug and place it on the top of your fuel filter housing using a 19 mm socket or wrench. You will now see a little spring that is exposed. Take a pair of small needle nose pliers and grasp the spring and pull it out of the regulator. Place it by your plug noting the way it came out. You will want to go back in with the same end that came out of the regulator side. Next, take a pencil tip magnet and be sure everything is clean on the magnet (we don't want metal shavings in there)....place the tip of the magnet in the hole and it will pull out the little tri-angular plunger that regulates the fuel pressure. Take the plunger off your magnet and look at the end of it. The end that has the hole is where you want to place the ball bearing. Take your ball bearing (BB) and drop it in the hole. When I did it the BB just fell in the hole. Take a little punch and make sure that it seats in the counter bore of the plunger. Not with a hammer, just pushing on it by hand will suffice. Next, make sure everything is clean and place the spring back in the plunger the way it came out. Place the plunger back into the regulator. The tri-angular shape will "FIT" into it's respected groove. DO NOT FORCE IT. Turn the plunger until it slides right in. Next, take the 19 mm plug and coat the o-ring with some oil or light grease so you will not damage the o-ring. Next, note the nipple on the end of the plug where the spring is centered. Be sure to get that nipple into the hole on the end of the spring or you will bend the spring and you have trouble. Push the plug toward the threads in the housing as it will be harder to push now, and screw your plug back into the regulator. DO NOT CROSS THREAD THE PLUG. Next tighten the plug back down snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

Hope this helps!

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
Well ? :popcorn: Did you get it resolved? Do you need further help? Just curious. Gene :mafia

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i looked at the fuel filter it was clean, the screen wasnt very dirty, shimmed the regulator. it starts a little better but i got a glow plug relay so i will try that next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts