The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we headed north last weekend to cut some white oak. So we borrowed my old mans trailer. Loaded up the wood hauler and my little beast of a four wheeler and set sail. We ended cutting down, stacking in trailer,hauling and unloading in 5-6 hours about 4-5 cords.

We really should have thought ahead about tongue weight on the trailer. Definitely had some weight to her. But we only had to haul a few miles on back roads to my buddy's parents house. Took her slow and steady 25-35 mph. Where we are piling the wood up and splitting. Then we'll bring it down to my house and stack.

On the trip home we did load up a stack of year old oak/maple mix. From last season. And thought what the heck. Lets stop and scale the truck and trailer to see where we are at. Weight came in at 17,469 pounds with only my buddy in the truck Not to bad, and at least still under the capacity of the trailer. I know coming home with that fresh oak it was well over 25K pounds!

Here's some pics for ya:

Pile on the left is from this trip, stacked is earlier this year for buddy's parents for next year.

Loaded up and ready to head home. And much better situated with the tongue weight. Once we moved our sides back.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
I like the sideboard idea

·
2,821 Posts
I have to agree, the load was set better in the last picture. Nice load of wood by the way. Chris

·
1,052 Posts
Well you had to remind me that is what I need to do. Nice load of wood!:thumbsup
Bill

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had 50' floor trusses laying around that we used. Cut out the middle section and was left with 15' or so on each side. Next step we are going to use some plywood to box in the front and back. Then block off the insides with it as well.

·
1,836 Posts
You can just cut a few logs so they can't slip out the side and lay them up the side as the center fills, same with the ends. doesn't take long to finish cutting when they come off. Might want to tie the top of the sides togather though.

Good looking jag of wood.

keydl

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can just cut a few logs so they can't slip out the side and lay them up the side as the center fills, same with the ends. doesn't take long to finish cutting when they come off. Might want to tie the top of the sides togather though.

Good looking jag of wood.

keydl
This was round one with the sides. Took us 5 minutes max to make. This coming weekend we are goint to Run plywood on the inside. And box in the front and back. for structural suport. Although it did to pretty well like this. And we had two straps to hold her together just in case. That last pic with the sides moved back this thing towed like a dream! Can't wait till this weekend to officialy test out my new saw and hopefully come home with another 5-10 cords.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts