The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK YESTERDAY I NOTICED AFTER I GOT TO WORK IT SEEMED A LITTLE ROUGH IDLE...THEN AFTER WORK STARTED WARMED UP AND SOUNDED AND RAN SMOOTH...WELL THIS MORNING @0430 I WOKE UP TO START AND WARM (40DEG) IT UP. IT STARTED AND THEN CAME BACK IN TO GET READY AND TRUCK TURNED OFF...TRIED TO START AND STARTED ROUGH IDLE AND THEN SHUT OFF. I AM LOOKING AT MY GAUGES AND IS THE OIL SUPPOSED TO RISE WHEN KEY IS ON AND STAY UP OR FALL BACK DOWN,MINE WILL RISE THEN FALL? I WAITED FOR A LITTLE WHILE STARTED AGAIN THEN I OUT IN DRIVE AND HAD NO THROTTLE RESPONSE AND THEN SLOWLY DIED. I AM ALSO GETTING A LITTLE SMOKE WHEN IT SEEMS TO BE BOGGING DOWN.ANY SUGGESTION PLEASE WOULD BE HELPFUL. WHEN IT DOES GET A LITTLE BRIGHTER OUTSIDE I AM GOING TO CHECK OIL AND MAKE SURE I HAVE ENOUGH.

·
3,051 Posts
Since you had a little rough idle yesterday and smoke, could be a failing injector or high pressure oil system internal leak. Typical symptom when a high pressure oil system has a internal leak, is it will start cold but not warm. As the oil warms up it thins out and won't build enough pressure to fire the injectors, but will fire them when the oil is cold and thicker. Requires a minimum of 500psi to pressurize the fuel injectors in order to start the engine. There are other things like a bad ficm that can cause similar symptoms your having also. Do you have any fault codes?

Harry

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i replaced injectors all 8 not long ago and the ficm was redone. could it be icp? when i turn koeo the oil will rise then fall, have not had the chance yet but could it be i just don't have enough oil to build pressure. if it is hpop how long to replace and where located

·
3,306 Posts
Yeah sounds like HPOP system. The needle for the oil pressure gauge wont stay up until the engine is running cause there is no oil pressure until the engine is running. I would think you would have enough oil in your crank case unless you have a big oil leak and hafta keep putting more in. If it is the HPOP...it's below the turbo and will probably take a couple hours to do. But i would check for a leak first...it might be just a bad o-ring in the system instead of the HPOP.

·
1,211 Posts
Since it is a 2005 year model, it might be wise to plan a job to replace the STC fitting, dummy plugs, and standpipes.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bismic---what is stc fitting, dummy plugs, standpipes and where these located sorry for sounding dumb. thanks

·
3,306 Posts
The STC fitting stands for Snap To Connect fitting and is located at the HPOP. The dummy plugs are plugs at the top of the high pressure oil rails that sit on top of the injectors. They have rubber o-rings that sometimes leak and go bad. The stand pipes come up through the heads and hook to the high pressure rails. Sometimes the o-ring at the bottom of the standpipe that screws into the branch tube might leak or fail also.

Reactions: bismic and kidn1980

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a way you could post pics or point me in the right direction and do they sell a kit or where to get parts. about how long to replace.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
i replaced injectors all 8 not long ago and the ficm was redone. could it be icp? when i turn koeo the oil will rise then fall, have not had the chance yet but could it be i just don't have enough oil to build pressure. if it is hpop how long to replace and where located
That is the Electronic Dash doing a self test. If nothing moved, you have problems.

Dave

·
373 Posts
Oh, that sounds exactly like mine did the last time it ran (Oct,31) it would start then idle fine after a few minutes I would put it in gear to back out and I had no throttle responce then the truck would idle down till it died. Mine has a Hpop leak or Bad Hpop plus no compession in 1 Cyl. Being yours is an 05 If it has not had the STC fitting updated it might just be that. I would have someone hook it up to a computer to rule out any sensors or electricl issues then they can perform the HPOP leak test. There are too many things it could be to just start tearing it up looking for the problem. I know.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is there a way to tell whither it be the icp or hpop

·
373 Posts
it could be as simple as the ICP screen is dirty. Or the STC or the O rings or the Stand pipes or a dozen other things. Most of them are fairly easy to fix but if you are just going to tear it up to see if you can find it you could find your self putting it back together just to air test it then tear it down again. I would really get it hooked up to a computer it will give you a starting point. Then if/when you rule out the other possiblities then do the air leak tests. I have a pdf file of the high pressure oil leak diagnosis procedure.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is there a rebuild kit and how much? also if am going to replace stc while i am in there is there anything else should i replace hpop. to what i am understanding i remove the turbo/ped cover and it right there right.

·
1,211 Posts
Since it is a 2005 year model, it might be wise to plan a job to replace the STC fitting, dummy plugs, and standpipes.
As I said, the dummy plugs and the standpipes should be replaced if you are into it for the STC fitting.

Also, if you disconnect the ICP sensor and it starts OK, then the sensor was/is bad (the PCM will assume a 500 psig high pressure oil reading w/ the sensor disconnected).

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bismic---sorry you did say that ok when i did disconnect the icp truck started and then still idled down and shut off so i assume the icp is good. so when i go into the stealership i just ask for a hpop and stc, dummy plugs and the standpipes. what is the avg price of these and time manner. also i believe if i am reading right remove turbo,pipe,intake and hpop is under turbo right? so once i am into it what am i looking for? again thanks for everyone's help.

·
373 Posts
The HPOP is under the turbo pedistal in the very back of the block. The turbo drain tube runs right into the top of the HPOP Cover. I think you can get the new STC fitting on ebay as well as other places. I hope that is your problem.

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks me the crappy side to this is ia m going to have to do this in the cold. but down south here in tx it is like 45 which it gets this cold once in a blue moon but the wind is like at 30mph does not help.

·
373 Posts
kidn1980,
I'm sorry in an earlier post I said ICP screen but I should have said the IPR screen. Do you have the updated coffee table book for the 6.0 it has some good information and pictures of the 6.0 Hpop system. I down loaded it from this site I think they call it the 6.0l Bible, if you can not find it let me know I will send it to you, but it is a big file 40,941 KB.
What part of So Tex are you in?

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no i don't have but i will look it up. i am located in corpus christi. i just priced everything from the stealer and like $1400. now i am not sure if i should just tear it down and replace what is broken or should i do everything. also what am i looking for to see if broke or what.

·
3,306 Posts
before you start ordering parts...i would test the high pressure oil system first to see if that is infact the problem. There's no sense buying parts and tearing it down if you don't even know 100% what is wrong. Theres a good chance that it could be but how do you really know what it needs?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts