The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start truck and it wouldn't. Had friend hook his SNAP-ON Solus scanner to it. Didn't get to see the results for myself. He said it said oil viscocity to low or something. He was no help. Changed oil one week ago. I turned it over and the oil pressure gauge will move up. Removed plug from to of HPOP, and all that was happening was bubbles. Filled it with oil and it would start and run for about 3-5 seconds then die. Truck will not run without me filling the HPOP with oil. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED...... oh. and by the way it is an 01 7.3L

·
862 Posts
Looks like you've narrowed it down. Normally the HPOP itself doesn't fail, but instead the IPR at the bottom of the HPOP can go bad, open up, and not allow the HPOP to hold oil pressure. That's where I would start first. You can find a few on Ebay for cheap, or pick one up at an International dealer.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank's... do you or anyone else have a breakdown of the hpop or maybe a description on how to remove the irp.

·
Supporting Vendor
484 Posts
You can see the IPR in the pic.

Attachments

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is the ipr in the pic.???????????

·
63 Posts
There is also a check valve for the hpop pump. which if it stays open it will cause the oil to run back into the pan from the hpop. the valve is located between the hpop reservoir and the left head. it has a inverted square fitting that is screwed into the block. take the fitting out and there is a ball, spring and seat.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
View attachment 9059

This picture is of the top of an Old Body Style 7.3
The IPR is in the same place, just looks a little diferent.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
484 Posts
Sorry, I posted the wrong one. I will try to get you a better pic tonight. The IPR is on the HPO pump. You can see what it looks like in this pic.

Attachments

·
2,106 Posts
RoscoeStroker said:
There is also a check valve for the hpop pump. which if it stays open it will cause the oil to run back into the pan from the hpop. the valve is located between the hpop reservoir and the left head. it has a inverted square fitting that is screwed into the block. take the fitting out and there is a ball, spring and seat.
That sounds like a possible solution to my hpop bleeding down a bit... Got any more information on that?? Is that for an SD or an OBS? Anything to be careful of with this and how do you fix/repair it?

·
63 Posts
This check valve is on all 7.3 powerstrokes. If u are looking at the hpop pump. If u look the the right of reservoir that the pump is mounted to next to the left bank head there is a square plug that is screwed into the block. Its kinda hard to see but its there. U can see it from the top of the engine. If u screw that plug out there is a spring, check ball and seat. I dont replace the seat cause its to hard to get out. but I do replace the ball and spring, and plug. It all comes in a kit from Ford. Ive got a pic of this procedure on a disk. Im trying to find it.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank's everyone for the info. That would be great to see the pics. on the disk. So do you guys think it the IPR or that check valve.:thanks:

·
Registered
103 Posts
The HPOP reservoir on a Super Duty is fed through a stand pipe. Even if the "quick fill" valve is leaking, the reservoir won't bleed down. If you have a bunch of bubbles in the reservoir, I would look at the LPOP, the front cover, and the pick up tube.

·
2,106 Posts
KRP said:
The HPOP reservoir on a Super Duty is fed through a stand pipe. Even if the "quick fill" valve is leaking, the reservoir won't bleed down. If you have a bunch of bubbles in the reservoir, I would look at the LPOP, the front cover, and the pick up tube.
Is there any easy way to check that???

·
2,106 Posts
LPOP, front cover, pick up tube. The things you mentioned looking at. My truck runs rough at low RPM's the HPOP ressy does not fill up all the way, runs better if I top off the hpop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can overfill the crankcase and jack the back of the truck up to check for a leaking/cracked pick-up tube. To check the LPOP and front cover you will need to pull the LPOP. Putting a real guage on the system will give you a better idea of what is going on. What do you mean when you say the reservoir doesn't fill up all the way? How and when are you checking it? I've had some LPO problems and will try to help.

·
2,106 Posts
the ressy I am talking about is the one on top of the HPOP. Won't be able to check for a few days... I have been talking about this problem for a while on here trying to find out everything I possibly can hoping that I would run into a cheap fix... About to take off for the weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts