The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buying a truck next weekend. It's a 90 F350 crew cab, 4x4, 5 spd, 7.3 IDI.
It has a turbo on it, I thought that there was not a factory turbo in 90 so am working with the assumption that it is aftermarket. I do not know a lot about these IDI's I've only had powerstrokes and know them pretty well.

Anyway, I was hoping that there may be enough differences in appearance between each different kit that somebody on here may be able to tell me what I have and what's good or bad about it.

Yes I do realize that there is a similar thread right now, I did compare to pics in that one. I did not want to hijack that thread for my question.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

On edit: if anyone can tell me anything about that oil leak up top in front, that would be great. I don't have the truck yet, picking it up next weekend, these are the pics the seller sent me.

Attachments

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pic of the oil leak i mentioned in the previous post. Seller said something about tach sensor????

Attachments

·
2,106 Posts
obviously!.... But there are a few different ones from what I have been finding. Not to mention ATS is the ones that built them for ford for the factory ones even.

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but good catch wayne

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
obviously!.... But there are a few different ones from what I have been finding.
Sorry. LOL I thought it sounded strange, I get your question now.

Not to mention ATS is the ones that built them for ford for the factory ones even.
I did not know that, but in that application I am sure Ford would not have allowed their logo all over.

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
That is an older ATS turbo setup non factory at that. Your missing the air breather tubes.

Like Wayne said the factory Ford turbo would say ford on the Air Breather cover, and it looks different than of the one you posted.

You really can not say anything bad about a turbo on an IDI, having a turbo is the biggest power gain you can get. Im not sure about that turbo but Im thinking its a non wastegate which Id have to say thats the only downfall about it.

About the oil leak, Get some cleaner and clean that sucker up real good, it could possibly be that someone spilled some oil when adding oil to the crankcase, that or its leaking at the timing gear cover which is that whole piece there that you pour oil into. Yes your tach sensor is on that same timing gear cover, its the thing to the right of your oil fill port, I doubt thats where the leak is.

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is an older ATS turbo setup non factory at that. Your missing the air breather tubes.

Fabbing up something for an air breather tube wont be hard at all

Like Wayne said the factory Ford turbo would say ford on the Air Breather cover, and it looks different than of the one you posted.

You really can not say anything bad about a turbo on an IDI, having a turbo is the biggest power gain you can get. Im not sure about that turbo but Im thinking its a non wastegate which Id have to say thats the only downfall about it.

Why's non-wastegated a downfall? is backpressure a problem on the IDI motor?

About the oil leak, Get some cleaner and clean that sucker up real good, it could possibly be that someone spilled some oil when adding oil to the crankcase, that or its leaking at the timing gear cover which is that whole piece there that you pour oil into. Yes your tach sensor is on that same timing gear cover, its the thing to the right of your oil fill port, I doubt thats where the leak is.
I don't have the truck yet, just trying to do some homework on it before I do get it. The guy I am buying it from did say that it was a leak, so I think it is more than just a spill. When you mention it being possibly the timing gear cover... Is it just that half-round pieces on top with the oil tube sticking out, or is it more than that. looks like if it's just that piece that it would be an easy repair.

BTW this is a pic of the whole truck... just for kicks and grins. I think it's in perty good shape, just need to fix that funky spot of the moulding and clean up the interior real nice.

Thanks Cincinnati Guy, judging by your sig, looks like you've been around the IDI a bit.

Attachments

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Yea this is my 3rd IDI. Have had a turboed one also. If the timing gear cover is where it is leaking, the biggest thing is to make sure you DO NOT REMOVE the timing gear also or else you will be taking the water pump and front cover off the truck. Once you get the truck I can walk you through step by step on how to fix it, its really not that hard unless you remove the timing gear with it.

Looks like a good ole truck, how much you getting it for?

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
I wouldnt really say having a non waste gate is a down fall. ITs just without a wastgate it has more tubo lag than one with a wastegate, it just will take a little longer to build boost pressure.

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$3500. motor has 120k on it. I was mostly concerned with getting the TRUCK i want regardless of condition of motor since I want to 12V it eventually. My three conditions were Crew cab, Manual trans, and 4x4... Been watching for a while and for around here it was a pretty decent price.

Id rather had a 92-97 cause I prefer the front clip, but was having a hard time finding it in 5 speed AND 4x4

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldnt really say having a non waste gate is a down fall. ITs just without a wastgate it has more tubo lag than one with a wastegate, it just will take a little longer to build boost pressure.
so is the exhaust housing a bit bigger on the non-wastegated then? Might be enough reason to hafta put in some bigger sticks for the time being...

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
You sir are getting a good deal, just the turbo alone is worth 1200 give or take. About the housings Im not really sure how it works. Either way its a good turbo. IF you like the 92-97 front clip you can swap one onto the truck, has to be from another diesel though unless your good at fabbing the radiator core support, thats the only difference.

When you pick it up give us all the information you can.

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You sir are getting a good deal, just the turbo alone is worth 1200 give or take. About the housings Im not really sure how it works. Either way its a good turbo. IF you like the 92-97 front clip you can swap one onto the truck, has to be from another diesel though unless your good at fabbing the radiator core support, thats the only difference.

When you pick it up give us all the information you can.
I was figuring I could eventually swap the front clip out. I might just patiently watch pick-n-pull for a nice white one so then I would hafta do any repainting. I can be patient on that one.

Anxious to pick it up, already made the deal. Glad you agree that it's a good deal, makes me feel even better about it. I will definately be posting up info on it when I get it.

Thank you very much for the help and info. Folks like you are why the diesel garage is my forum of choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts