The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I may have found a reg cab dually 4x4 that's close to the budget. Bunch of plowing questions.... This truck does not have a plow or towing mirrors.

How can I tell if it has the max front end GAWR?
What was the max GAWR on the front of a '06 or '07?
How can I tell if it has the plow package?
If it doesn't have factory tow mirrors, can they be added?
Can I add power/heated mirrors if the existing smaller ones are power/heated without major cutting-do they just bolt on?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Get Hank to run the VIN down in the VIN check section, that will let you know pretty much everything about the truck

Yes you can put on aftermartet tow mirrors, i cant see why you wouldnt be able to hook up the power and heat, im not sure on how they connect inside the mirror but it must just be some weather packs :shrugs

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Get HENRY to run the VIN down in the VIN check section, that will let you know pretty much everything about the truck
:wedgie
Fixed! :thumbsup

Either the vin check or the data tag on the truck will tell you all the stats on the truck.

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
One mine, there is a data tag as Merlin mentioned that's got axle gross ratings... I know for 2011, GM went to a 6000 Gross axle rating on all HD's so that they're "Snowplow" ready... I believe the 2010 and before models were rated to 4500lbs... don't know what sort of rating a plow needs, but I'm they vary from type to type..

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
One mine, there is a data tag as Merlin mentioned that's got axle gross ratings... I know for 2011, GM went to a 6000 Gross axle rating on all HD's so that they're "Snowplow" ready... I believe the 2010 and before models were rated to 4500lbs... don't know what sort of rating a plow needs, but I'm they vary from type to type..
The tags will differ depending on the cab type and truck configuration. My truck is a RC/LB so the axle ratings will be higher. 4800lb front, 6200lb rear.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They must make a higher GAWR front axle than 4800lbs because my non-plow prep 3500 crew cab is 4,800 front 6,500 rear.

I thought the pre '11 plow prep trucks were like 5400 on the front.

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
They must make a higher GAWR front axle than 4800lbs because my non-plow prep 3500 crew cab is 4,800 front 6,500 rear.

I thought the pre '11 plow prep trucks were like 5400 on the front.
yeah, that was the "standard" axle rating I was quoting, sorry.. I know there was a "Snowplow" prep option which would include a higher rating.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Duke, my truck is a 3/4 ton, i'm sure the 1 tons are higher. :happymugs

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
If the truck has a plow prep package, it'll have duel alternators.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
I thought it was also on LBZ's

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Duke, I took a few pictures of the data tag on my truck. Keep in mind, this is for a 3/4 ton. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Duke
1 - 12 of 12 Posts