The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... it is kinda getting cold around here it is not often that we have cold weather but anyways My truck is hard to start in the temps we are having now, takes two or three tries, just wandering if the Super Duty's have a plug in and where it would be, I can't find one and i have been all overtbe front end, is this something i can add if not stock?

I am running Biodiesel for the first time too, maybe that has soemthing to do with the cold start?

·
6,337 Posts
Bio will gel at low temps... Dont ask me how I know......

But yes you should plug it in, you dont have too, but it helps. There should be a plug coming out of the oil filter housing area to the front of the truck. If not then you dont have one and will need to get the plug.

·
43 Posts
They do come with a block heater but they don't all come with the cord to plug it in. Another brilliant move by Ford.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Damn bean counters strike again! I read the other day about this. You need to go to the local stealership to get it. Should be around $50.00 if memory is correct.

·
622 Posts
Bio-fuel has a lot to do with hard startign when cold, what mix are you using B20 ,B100? you shoudl stick with straight #2 when below 40 degrees F, what temps are you seeing where you are, it was 25 F here and had no problem starting this mourning, knocks alittle harder till the blood starts flowing but starts up just fine.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we are seeing temps down to 26 here and that is cold for us here in Louisiana, not really for an overnight but it is staying below 35 all day. It is supposed to warm up tomorrow though. The blend i am using is only B5 , but i have noticed the glow plugs not doing as good anyways maybe with the bio it is taking that much more.. Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah, i've been running b20 from the exxon on Roxboro Rd (on hwy 501) (Piedmont BioFuel) For about 6months, takes about 7 seconds to start below about 35, and it is 29 this morning.

Takes that long, no matter if i turn the key right after wts, or if i let it sit for a minute. More than likely, it's the bio fuel. I plan to add a dose of PS diesel fuel supplement Friday when I fill up (I make a 15 mile trip to eat at a fav restaurant, and fill up at the same time.)

I will find out how much the bio fuel will run me...(god i hope it's not still $2.69) diesel is $2.33 right now at the exxon right down the street (Kartek, you know the one, :) )

Anyway, it's early, the truck is out there running at 1200~, and there is sleet falling... yay! Leaving for work in 20 min (grumble)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts