The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Algae in January? Could that really happen? Bought fuel at a different station to avoid walking home. Thirty miles later change primary filter, then 150 miles later change secondary and then 200 miles later change primary again. Primary is a cleanable stainless screen covered in black goo. Fuel was treated with biocide at first filter change because it sure looked like an algae infestation. But January?

·
2,824 Posts
If you hadnt ran the additive before it is cleaning the tank walls and the lines as well, it can also happen if you ever switch to a bio diesel.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive not used any vegetable based fuel in a looonnng time. I did make a typing while asleep mistake when I called it biocide. Algaecide is what I meant and I have used it in the past. I used it after the first filter plugged. I have been treating the fuel with Howes every time any is added to the tank. Most times lately I dont fill the tanks. The place Im getting the fuel from doesnt have enough hose to do both sides so I have to stop in every couple days. "Just turning around" is not an option. With such limited room I would have to pull back out on the highway, go a mile down the road loop around the implement dealers lot then go back to town to fill the other side. Running with half tanks is not my preferred method either.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Running full tanks will finish cleaning what ever it is making mushrooms grow in your tanks. And only using one tank to fill makes it worse and could be the culprit in itself. It doesn't' get a fresh wash like tank A. If it's algae it's kinda glued on. If it's cleaning a line or whatever you can generally wipe it off like dirt ;)

·
4,827 Posts
Running partial fills all the time increases the amount of water condensation in the tanks.

Most truckstops sell a variant of 5-20% blend of "bio" diesel. The bio-mass stuff is crap. Soy-diesel acts like a detergent. Cleans things up pretty good. ;)

Might also want to remove a few fuel lines on the suction side, and see if the rubber on the inside is getting soft, and either collapsing under load or other-wise degrading.

Other thing to consider, IS the place you buy your fuel, or the time of day. Might be dirty fuel, or you get there during (or right after) the fuel tanker topped things off. Stirs all the chit up in the tanks. Took me 2 mths to track down where I was getting bad fuel once. Was a Kum-N-Go in southern IA.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been quite a week. I got my tanks as full as I could with the short hose. I must have a really good charge of crap in the tanks. Monday I change the primary filter 4 times. Tuesday required 7 changes. Wednesday was a short trip of about 20 miles but had to change with only 4 miles left to go. My work for Wednesday is to drain what I can from the tanks into a barrel. Im going to use my electric transfer pump and filter it on the way out. Then Im going to get some fresh stuff delivered. Is there anything else I need to do?

·
217 Posts
Don't know how true this is but the other day I was listening to one of those show's on XM (roaddog channel) they had some kind if fuel expert and he said that algae can spread by a fuel nozzle that's been contaminated by another truck that fueled up there before,he suggested that we wipe both inside and outside of nozzle before we stick it fuel tank.

·
4,827 Posts
If it is algae, you get to drain and flush the tanks and remove all the fuel lines to clean them out. Then, run a shot of chemicals to kill what is left........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts