The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grizzly or Sportsman, i need some help on picking out a good work/offroading quad which one do you guys prefer or think is more reliable?:shrug:

·
1,726 Posts
Don't know which one I like better but my dad just bought a Polaris Sportsman 700 carburated. It was a leftover from 05 and he got it cheaper than he could buy a Polaris 425.
It has a sway bar on the rear that keeps it very stable while spraying (the reason for buying it). But I think you could get a lot more articulation if you disconnected it for offroading.

And man does that thing have some NUTS!!!

Let me know if you want me to check to see if the dealer still has one left. As of about 2 months ago he had 3 left but they may be sold by now. And no options on color, Forest Green is the only color he has left.

·
411 Posts
Rebeldill said:
Grizzly or Sportsman, i need some help on picking out a good work/offroading quad which one do you guys prefer or think is more reliable?:shrug:
Both great machines, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Myself if it was a working quad I was looking for a Sportsman would be my first choice. With it's added weight it will get a little more done a little faster with big loads or chores. The Grizz is a good quad too, that new power steering they got is cool for sure. If you are looking for more work you might want to check out the new Sportsman X2's, they have a small dump bed on that will convert over to a second seat for 2up riding, and they have a turf mode in the rear diff that will unlock it to make it easier on grass when turning tight corners.

DB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea rite now i have a yamaha blaster and i like it but i want sommin i can go muddin with not just trail ride'n

·
411 Posts
Rebeldill said:
yea rite now i have a yamaha blaster and i like it but i want sommin i can go muddin with not just trail ride'n
What kind of CC quad are you looking at?

I know Yamaha has a new Grizz out that is air cooled for just the mud guys. It's smaller on the CC's, think it's like a 450 or 420 or something like that.

I was a little off on the CC of the new Grizz. It is a 350, has a lot of the features of the big boys though and a good price I think.

Poke Here

DB

·
5 Posts
Don't know anything about the Yamaha, but i just purchased a 2007 Polaris 800efi Limited Edition Stealth and it is a mountain goat, although a heavy one.

·
83 Posts
Go YAMAHA! You won't be sorry. I have a Grizzly 700EFI and a Rhino 660 and they have been very good to me.

·
207 Posts
We have had a couple of Sportsman 500's (99 & 03) as far as I'm concerned there junk. For being that friggin heavy they sure could beef up the driveline and the brakes. Then theres the plastic racks/bumpers that are good for nothing. They break way to easy even though they claim to be "unbreakable". I know we sure were'nt easy on them, but who is? We buy them to use them. My uncle has a 600 twin, and its been in the shop numerous times for engine repairs. Sure they get up and go, and have power, but the rest of the quad just isn't up to snuff, at least for us anyways. The neighbor has a 660 grizzley and they love it, and they beat on it just as hard as we do to our Sportsman. Oh BTW, ours has been sitting in the corner of our shed now for about a year, because they want like $2500 to fix it, it pulls to the right really hard. They said it was a broken axle, and they fixed it for $600, but as soon as we unloaded it, my brother took it up the road and almost rolled it because of how hard it pulled....

Next one I'm getting will be a Rhino, no more Polaris junk

·
Black Smoke Junkie
356 Posts
I'm by no means a yamaha man but a 700 Grizzly is a lot better of a machine than the sportsman.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go Yamaha I have a Polaris Scrambler 500 and right now the reverse gear is stripped my rear axle bearings are out and the left front hub won't engage. I have also broke both clutches, 2 cv joints, cracked transmission case, cam went out bc they said you have to change oil more than every 50 hours, also it is very heavy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
if your going to work more than joy ride id buy a 500 foreman. best workhorse there is even though its a little behind on the times. we have 3 700 grizzlies there great for joy riding and muddin and such. but not the workhorse a foreman is. one of my neighbors has a 800 polaris and it is a monster really heavy. but there is good and bad in all of them.

·
125 Posts
Yamaha all the way, and I have owned both

·
455 Posts
RSieck said:
Oh BTW, ours has been sitting in the corner of our shed now for about a year, because they want like $2500 to fix it, it pulls to the right really hard. They said it was a broken axle, and they fixed it for $600, but as soon as we unloaded it, my brother took it up the road and almost rolled it because of how hard it pulled....

Next one I'm getting will be a Rhino, no more Polaris junk
a little off subject here but, i have owned many, to many polarises actually and my dads scramble sometimes does that it and it was from a bad cv joint. put a new one in, like 50 bucks from dennis kirk i think and its fine now, might also want to check the brakes.

·
432 Posts
KT Performance said:
I don't have much hands on with Yamaha but we have three Polaris 4-wheelers and love them.
Kenny hate to do this to ya, but I WOULDNT TOUCH a polaris....... if a polaris is working its about to break......... i own two yamaha's. i love them..... I have 03 Kodiak 400 4x4 and the 07 Big Bear 400 4x4 IRS

·
377 Posts
Polaris... As far as the people that owned a scrambler, there nothing like the sportsman so don't compare them. Ive had a 03 600 and a 04 700, both great quads. And they rock crawl the best. But they are heavy. I also had a 08 RZR and it kicked the **** out of any stock or highly modified rhino, on the rubicon or in the dunes.

·
125 Posts
This thread is your typical pissing contest. All right everyone Polaris on this side of the room and Yamaha on the other side. When the gun fires everyone start swinging...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Give the new King Quad 750 a look. The Outlander 800 is a beast.
The Artic Cat 950 is the biggest thing out there.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
I got a Sportsman 500 and it's a pretty good machine. I bought it used a while back and it too pulls to the side. I don't think it's from a bad cv, to me it seems as if the 4wheel peel isn't unlocking as fats as it should cause if I reverse it prob. goes away until in 4wd again. Mine's got a jet kit for the carb and t goes good, not like a Raptor or anything but still good enough for what it is. I skid trees with it and just generally use/abuse it and so far so good. It likes the gas though and it's a ***** to steer in some off camber situations. If I was going to buy a new quad I'd go with a 1)Suzuki 2)Honda or 3)Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts