The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i let off the throttle after hard acceleration, somtimes i hear a popping noise. It happens as soon as i let off, just once. Any ideas?

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i should be more specific

The sound comes from the exhaust and it only happens once when it happens.

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know, do ya think i have an injector not working?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Unlikely they don't have much issues with injectors on these. I don't know that a injector would do that if it would go bad. Not sure though. Because it sounds like it'd have to be letting some fuel out during the exhaust stroke for it to make the popping noise. Regardless I'm not saying either way. But the injection pump is usually 90% on the problems on these engines.

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, i'll try that

·
400 Posts
Could it possibly be your wastegate regulating the boost pressure's?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Pretty good valve lash 101 site there. :Thumbup:
That why I built the web page so people could get the job done and undrstand how to do it. So as I did my valve lash adjustment I wrote notes and took pics of everything I did...:Thumbup:

I've got a few other things I'm going to be adding soon...:sly:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
One thing I didn't see on there was telling them to remember to take the barring tool out if they are using one; before starting the engine. I learned that the hard way.LOL

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
One thing I didn't see on there was telling them to remember to take the barring tool out if they are using one; before starting the engine. I learned that the hard way.LOL
I got to admit it would be nice to have a barring tool but I don't so I use the alternator nut for mine...

But Yes... Its a good thing to remove all tools from the engine bay BEFORE starting the engine...:damnit

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
but I don't so I use the alternator nut for mine...
Ya and most people using your demo probably don't have the barring tool either.

I just ended up buying one after I overhauled a 47RE just to have the t/c nuke on the test drive (I screwd up). When the customer was expecting it back the same day. :splat

They are nice though, don't get me wrong. I do use it.

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i thought about the wastegate, im going to adjust valves first, then go from there, with 178,000 miles, im sure its due anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts