The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 F450
Anyone notice a popping sound (sounds like popcorn popping) coming from behind the IP right where the heater core would be located ?

1. Sound is present anywhere above 160F coolant temp.
2. Sound is present sitting still, or driving
3. Sound is present with the Heat/AC, on or off

Couple of thoughts:
1. Air in the coolant system audible through the heater core
2. A vent that is flopping around in the heater system
3. Something more sinister like a pop-corn maker actually inside my IP :haha

Curious to see if others have the same issue.

Quick Fix: Crank tunes !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have same noise, can't figure it out, have owned the truck about 8 months and noticed it about 2 months ago. It's not always there and has different popping patterns... Weird.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I have the same noise it does it even with the engine off but key in the on position....ford thought it was the dual climate control actuator and replaced it under warranty but it still does it:bang:its going back next week.

Reactions: Black06

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have the same noise it does it even with the engine off but key in the on position....ford thought it was the dual climate control actuator and replaced it under warranty but it still does it:bang:its going back next week.
Yep - does it even with the key off. Keep us in the loop with your findings.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any further updates on this issue ?

·
2,183 Posts
someone with popping from the intake had bent rods i think

·
776 Posts
I have popping noises as well, periodically...when I was test driving the truck, the manager told me not to worry if the truck starts making popping noises or sounds like a garbage disposal...he said it was somethign to do with the DPF.....I've had my truck almost 2 years now and no major issues other than smokes like a dream..especially while regenning...

·
1,700 Posts
If engine has to be running i would first check this. Early build 6.4's had a rattling, gurgling or scraping typ noise from the heater core supply hose, it can be tested by bringing rpm above maybe 2k or close to 3k then crimping off supply hose to core. If the noise goes away then replace the hose.

If noise happens when engine is off then I would suspect one of the actuators for the HVAC, it could be any one of the actuators but most likely the panel/floor actuators. i have run into this on other ford models so it would not suprise me to see one on these trucks doing the same thing.

·
154 Posts
Mine goes in next tues for the same noise, doesn't matter whether it is running or not on mine either. Had it in once already, and of course the said "could not duplicate problem". Got ahold of the service mananger this time! Will let you know what happens, mine has been doing it now for about 3-4 months. Heat & a/c seems to work fine, but i swear the noise is related to the climate control somehow.

·
1,700 Posts
Mine goes in next tues for the same noise, doesn't matter whether it is running or not on mine either. Had it in once already, and of course the said "could not duplicate problem". Got ahold of the service mananger this time! Will let you know what happens, mine has been doing it now for about 3-4 months. Heat & a/c seems to work fine, but i swear the noise is related to the climate control somehow.
I will agree, I think its one of the mode door actuators for the climate control, like I said earlier I have seen this on other ford models numerous times before. Some people have explained the noise as a sound like a percolating coffee maker, Most I have heard sound pretty quiet and muffled, but some are kinda loud. The noise does not hinder the operation/function of the climate control it is basically the mode door actuator cycling back and forth slightly searching for a neutral position.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will agree, I think its one of the mode door actuators for the climate control, like I said earlier I have seen this on other ford models numerous times before. Some people have explained the noise as a sound like a percolating coffee maker, Most I have heard sound pretty quiet and muffled, but some are kinda loud. The noise does not hinder the operation/function of the climate control it is basically the mode door actuator cycling back and forth slightly searching for a neutral position.
Your explanation is exactly what I'm hearing - function is fine. It definitely sounds like an actuator door flopping. If you put your hand on the black plastic housing on the bottom of the IP (just above the transmission hump in floor) you'll feel the tapping - which is likely the door you're referencing.

How does Ford service the noise you're referencing ? (i.e. Remove / Replace actuators, service mode door, etc...)

·
1,700 Posts
after they verify which one, then they will replace the actuator that making the noise. Depending on which actuator it is they may need to remove the instrument panel. If the noise sounds more like its on the drivers side center of dash, then I would bet its the panel/floor actuator. You can basically see this actuator on the LH side of the HVAC case just above and beside the throttle pedal, and it can be viewed better by un-snapping/removing the panel directly under the steering column.

The actuators are usually black, somewhat square and have one connector going into the side of it.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after they verify which one, then they will replace the actuator that making the noise. Depending on which actuator it is they may need to remove the instrument panel. If the noise sounds more like its on the drivers side center of dash, then I would bet its the panel/floor actuator. You can basically see this actuator on the LH side of the HVAC case just above and beside the throttle pedal, and it can be viewed better by un-snapping/removing the panel directly under the steering column.

The actuators are usually black, somewhat square and have one connector going into the side of it.
Would a quick verification include unplugging the connector to turn the sound on-off ?

·
1,700 Posts
yes it would make a quick diag to unplug, i would first put my hand on the noisy part, then i would unplug it to verify, easy as that... I understand your frustration but i would make sure to communicate enough detail to the service advisor to get this problem fixed. You need to insist that the noise is present, and then give him all the details of what it takes to make the noise. I would even ask to speak to the technician if avail. I would talk to you about something like this if you brought it to me, so i dont see why anyone else would object.

Reactions: Black06

·
blewbyu
33 Posts
I got a quote today from ford they want about six hundred dollars to fix it!!! i guess ill be living with it for awhile.....

·
1,700 Posts
i'd like to know what they quoted you for.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes it would make a quick diag to unplug, i would first put my hand on the noisy part, then i would unplug it to verify, easy as that... I understand your frustration but i would make sure to communicate enough detail to the service advisor to get this problem fixed. You need to insist that the noise is present, and then give him all the details of what it takes to make the noise. I would even ask to speak to the technician if avail. I would talk to you about something like this if you brought it to me, so i dont see why anyone else would object.
Popped open the glove box, and immediately found the sound. it's the actuator door as stated. Applying hand to the black HVAC housing, you can feel it tapping. You are correct, even with truck off, the actuator continues to search. I think I'll wait for a few things to pile up and address before warranty expires.

·
blewbyu
33 Posts
They said it was about a six hour job to pull the dash apart to get to it. who knows for that kind of money ill live with it.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They said it was about a six hour job to pull the dash apart to get to it. who knows for that kind of money ill live with it.
Amen - crank the tunes !:guitar
You'll end up with twice as many buzz/sqeaks/rattles as you went in with if they pull the instrument panel.

·
1,700 Posts
without knowing which one of your actuators are making noise, if you have dual climate control you need to remove the inst panel only to replace the drivers side temp door actuator, and for the pass side you also need to remove the inst panel only if you have the auxillary elec heater too. all the other mode actuators can be replaced with not much labor involved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts