The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand, size, fuel powered generator do you use and recomend. I planning on purchasing a portable generator for my travel trailer, I have a 2010 Keystone Hornet 23' camper, I'm looking for a portable generator to carry in the bed of my F-350 Superduty when going camping to power up the camper. I'm wanting a quiet one so I won't disturb my neighbors in the campgrounds, any recomendations.

·
8,265 Posts
Honda's seem to be the most quiet and reliable. I don't have one but have friends that do, and they are quiet for a generator.

Reactions: Ohio Eddie

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Don't even waste money on anything but HONDA. Sorry guys that may prefer other brands. The Honda generators are just that good. :rock

·
75 Posts
I might have a honda eu3000 forsale. It has been used on a horse trailer and a 5th wheel for three years on and off. Changed the oil atleast once a year and always put fuel stabilizer in it when not using it. The top has been scratched a little from being stored in the front storage area in the 5th wheel, but since then we have bought a cover for it so the paint would not be damaged anymore. PM me if you are interested. I am currently located in Loveland, CO by the way.

I just looked and noticed you are from Ohio, if you are willing to wait I can have the generator in Ohio (grew up on a farm near Tiffin) sometime around late May.

·
683 Posts
Check oout the Kipor line of inverter generators. I have the 3000 and it powers everything on my TT, including the A/C. The Kipor is a much less expensive alternative to the Honda, if you're price sensitive.

·
Ford Motorhead
54 Posts
I have a Kipor 2000i and I am very happy with it. I paid $450 for it and it was new in the box. I found it on CraigsList. I am really happy with it so far.

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
Fuel usage is not important for many, but gas is the most common, diesel the most efficient, propane cleanest burning. With that said you may need to consider where it will be placed I hate diesel fumes, propane burning should be mostly safe if exhaust is consumed.

Most generators will run at either 3600rpm or 1800rpm. The 1800rpm units usually cost more but will last longer, and run much quieter.

Honda??? I don't have a honda generator but have seen many small Honda products that seem to be over engineered.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I'll tell ya, I'm lloking at Generators myself and looked at a Yamaha 2000IS. I am looking to run two (In Paralell,4000 watts total). I am comparing it to the honda eu3000 and it not only ran quiter, but was cheaper and the two of them only weigh 80 lbs combined. I highly reccomend them.

·
928 Posts
Another vote for Honda.

We use a EU3000i to run our Negotiator van at work. We went with the Honda because of the reliabilty, clean electricity ($10,000 worth of electronics in that van) and because it's wicked quiet.

·
606 Posts
Honda 2000i is what I use. If you are using the AC a 3000i is a must. With it running tv/sat and lights, the 2000i will run about 10 hours on a gallon of gas. Very quite, even under load. You can pick them up new on ebay for less than 1000.00

·
212 Posts
i got a champion 4000 watt from TSC for $300. ran constantly for 12 days, ran for 12+ hours on a 4 gal tank and ran everything in my toy hauler. also with it sitting on the ground outside, it was nearly impossible to hear

·
1,224 Posts
:damnitHad a yamaha 2800 until somebody needed it worse then I doelmerfudd
Now need to look for another one. I did find that 2800 was not enough to run AC and Micro at the same time:swear

·
dieselgeezer
18 Posts
I've had the Honda EU6500 for several years. It's never failed to start on the first crank. It lives in the bed of my truck. IMHO you get what you pay for in generators.

·
1,324 Posts
Honda eu2000. Inverter technology is the way to go for fuel efficiency and quiet operation. The engine rpm varies due to load since it is not a traditional power plant. Traditional generator has to be governed at set rpm to give you 60 Hz AC power. Move up to the 3000 if you want to run Air or get the parallel kit and 2x 2000's. Do not waste your money on a junk generac or other Chinese knockoff. I tried a generac 2200 and it caught on fire. They gave me all my money back and I bought a Honda. There is a reason everyone has em. They work forever. Made in Japan but i'll take that over china anyday.

·
13 Posts
"Fuel usage is not important for many, but gas is the most common, diesel the most efficient, propane cleanest burning. With that said you may need to consider where it will be placed I hate diesel fumes, propane burning should be mostly safe if exhaust is consumed."

With people going more eco-friendly right now I think propane is a good choice.

About the Honda, not sure with the price but this is my first time knowing that it is good compared to other brands.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts