The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gentlemen,

welp, it seems as though from the amazing amounts of oil exiting the blow-by tube that the motor in my newly acquired '96 will need an overhaul. the speedo and odo don't work, but i've lost about 10 qts of oil over the last 20 gallons of fuel it took to fill up. :pointlaugh a rebuild hasn't been verified yet, but just found out that a neighbor down the street works at International. so i was going to ask him for help (compression test, his opinion, etc.) to verify.

i bought the truck as advertised w/ 173k miles. well, being how the odo doesn't work, no one knows how many miles it actually has, or what it's life was like (owned by a timber company, goose-neck plate in bed, idle time?, etc.) :damnit

the truck has responded excellently to sliding the plate forward and afc adjustments. i have not ground/removed the plate because i just now installed guages. pretty sure timing has slipped because it has those symptoms. so i plan to up the timing in the near future, but pretty sure that will make the oil consumption [rejection] worse.

so, help me w/ my options here (once i verify a rebuild is necessary):

1. rebuild (truck to shop) - haven't heard of any shops in my area w/ any reputation to do this. ballpark price for a shop to fully handle?

2. rebuild (bring engine to unknown shop) - most likely scenario, i pull engine, that way i can do some mods easier as it goes back in. ballpark?

3. rebuild (bring engine & rebuild parts to unknown shop) - best place for overhaul kits? prices? desireable options?

4. rebuild myself - i'm very competent at most things, but don't have experience in this arena, plus would need a host of special tools (plus the most important tool: time).

5. short block - i think i could handle this myself, just would need time. sources? prices? desireable options?

6. long block - easy. sources? prices? desireable options?

i bought this truck as a project truck, but the intent was to mod the motor, not have to rebuild it. :damnit

·
3,514 Posts
I don't know, I think a rebuilt motor is probably the best place to start modding, because then you know you're fresh and what condition everything is in, including rods, bottom end and all that stuff. I'd tear the head off and see what it looks like inside. It may just need a re-ring. However if you've been getting a lot of blow by and diesel fuel down in the crank case, you may want new bearings down there too. But its hard to say what it needs or what the cost may be without being able to look inside.

Good luck, and I hope its not too bad.
Sean

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would most likely do it myself, take the motor out put it on a motor stand(not sure what they are called). Start taking things apart slowly and put everything in specific "boxes", then i would most likely just change out the pistons and have the cylinders honed. The bottom end is a little harder, i would try to find someone respectable to take a look at it and see if anything needs replacing, then put everything back together, oil everying up and start her up. Also when you have everything apart, see the valve clearences, if they are within what cummins says is good, i would leave em in and run the truck.

·
3,514 Posts
If you get a cummins service manual it should have all the proper specs for the bottom end. Then get yourself some good micrometers and you should be able to do a lot of it yourself. I'm not sure how much really special tooling you will need. Definitely a diesel ring compressor and a few other things, but I doubt there is that much highly specialized stuff in there.
Sean

·
Registered
964 Posts
when you send out the block also send the head have it checked for cracks and do the valves and seals buy a set of 60lb springs have them put those on too! If you need a head I have 2!! PM me for details

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the replies/advice, guys.

[again, this is all hypothetical until i can verify the condition inside]

if it were a simple parts swap, i feel i could do that. but if machining is involved or necessary, obviously that's where i'll need a shop. so a lot has to do if i can find a good shop around.

what could i expect a shop to ask to clean/inspect block and heads, hone block, and bore (if necessary)?

it seems that a reman short block can be had for around $3500-ish or better, so i'm trying to weigh if it's easier to get a shorty or just buy overhaul kit and pay for machining and do assembly myself.

hell, if i need machining, would it be a better idea to just start w/ a new bare block, thus avoiding the shop problem? (sources?)

thoughts?

·
4,827 Posts

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bmoeller - good point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts