The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would do a little write-up for people to look at regarding a loss of power/funny noises coming out of the exhaust.

The 7.3L came equipped with an Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV). The EBPV was equipped to provide quicker warm up times, and to keep the engine warm in colder climates.

The way it works is fairly simple. The PCM opens and closes the EBPV following certain preset parameters. Many times, the operation of the EBPV is normal, but the loss of power can be an annoyance. Many people have unplugged or gutted the EBPV, and have no complaints whatsoever. A simple way to test your EBPV is to simply unplug it. If the operation of the EBPV is causing your power loss, when you unplug it, it won't close, and your exhaust will flow freely.

Just thought this might help people during the colder times of the year. :usflag

ON EDIT: Here is a pic of where the plug is. On the late-99 & up super duty, its fairly easy to reach in from the passenger side and unplug it. Just flip up the metal clip, and unplug.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well put!:whs

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
wow sure took long enof for one of us to say that :whs i wish some people would do a little thred serching insted of posting the same old ????????'s thanks to blueovltrk

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
ask a moderator for a sticky and if you could add a photo or description where the EBPV is located.

·
191 Posts
I vote for a sticky.....anything like this that is hashed over time and again NEEDS a sticky!

·
Dually Club member #56
36 Posts
That is some good info, for thoses of us that are somewhat new the PSD's - Ol Red

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
me too vote sticky

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
If I may add on you may also unplug the plug on the ebp sensor and this will disable the ebpv. It is easier to get to disconnect, or recconnect for that matter. Located on the top front paassenger side of the engine.

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats true, but unplugging it from the EBPV removes any possibilities of it being kicked on by the PCM at all.

·
120 Posts
yeah, I unplugged mine from the sensor and the other day, the valve was closed cause my truck sounded like a jet! It does sound awesome, however very annoying when the valve is closing when you are driving and you have no power until it is warmed up. I will be unplugging mine at the actual pedestal base.

·
Member in Learning!
105 Posts
How about the early 99? Is it located at the same place? Or was this not added until the late 99s??

thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts