The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am completing the plans for my waste veggie and motor oil setup. Simple design - hopefully. Planning on a gravity feed bag system. First oil will be prescreened (150/200 micron). I will then let the oil settle for a week. To dewater the oil I will be using a turkey fryer (http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0043326517620a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=turkey+fryer&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=turkey+fryer&noImage=0). The heated oil will then be poured into my bag setup. The bags will be double stacked and be consecutive. Pour the oil in the top of the pipe and let it gravity fall through each level. Each bag will be rated at ~80% efficiency and will be double stacked resulting in a 96% effective efficiency.

\/
\/
\/

Oil will then be deemed satisfactory and be added to my aux fuel tank in the percentage stated in the thread about my Mixing formula.

I am currently looking for a filter bag supplier and will be purchasing everything else once I receive the bags. I am hoping for a Monofilament (nylon) bag so the filters will be reuseable. Basically a 17" tall tube of PVC with 7" diameter. With the filter bag placed between adjoining sections. The bottom will be capped with a on/off spout to empty into a fuel can. Pour oil in the top let it filter down. Open spout to fill can to fill my tank.

Safe system? Changes modifications? Really appreciate all the help so far.

Sam

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
It sounds like marketing will be in your future. Let me ask about the filter bags. Reuseable? If you want to retain an 80% efficiency you will have to use new bags, no? I understand that you can rinse and re-use a lot of filtering devices produced, but each time you rinse and reuse a certain level of efficiancy is lost, however minor it is. I haven't checked out the link, but good idea. I come from the south where frying is common. I am familiar with turkey fryers. Alot of people aren't. Good idea on the removal of water by heating the oil and letting it do what oil does and turn water into steam. I am a little curious on the WMO. Are you just planning on particulate filtering?

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand it the nylon will gain efficiency as the poors become clogged. This is suffered at the expense of flow rate. I won't be in a big hurry nor filtering large amounts - so flow rate isn't an issue for me. After a time they will need to be cleaned which will be accomplished by pour boiling water backwards through each filter onto my compost. As far as losing efficiency - yes they will lose efficiency after time. At the batch size and useage I am foreseeing it won't be an issue for some time. Particularly on the larger micron filters. The smaller filters will be change more frequently than the large filters. That particular turkey fryer is excellent for this application because it has the spout on it for easy draining of the oil.

As far as the motor oil - yes it will simply go through the filtering process as a particulate filter. I will also have 2 levels of magnets to attract any metal deposits. Probably not necessary with the filtering - but it is cheap and easy insurance.

Sam

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
Sounds ok from what I've read.

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the company I think I am going to use for my bags gave me some good info on efficiency/cost. Wanted to bounce it off anyone who cares to give feedback. Felt bags at lower microns (25 and under) are in the $3-5 range and cannot be reused and have an efficiency of 50-75%. The Nylon MonoFilament bags are in the ball park of $30-35 and can be washed without losing efficiency which will be in the ball park of 80-90%. The only concern over the monofilament bags and washing is that over time they way develop tears which. However that should be after a dozen or so washes. So do you spend the money for the nice reuseable bags - or do you just go with cheap bags and keep a supply on hand?

Sam

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
The cost is minimal compared to the savings in the long run. Get the reuseable ones and just monitor to see how long it takes them to tear. If it happens before they pay for themselves go the cheap route. Also on the wmo. There tends to be a high carbon content to that stuff. Do you think you can filter all the carbon out?

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I am going to be ordering the felt bags here next week. I am going to order 1 set of felt bags and see how they do. This is to make sure this is something that I will continue to do and that the hassle is justified. (This is satisfying someone else)...

As far as the WMO goes I think the filtering will get the majority of the carbon and suspended particles out. I may filter down to 1 micron with WMO, just not sure yet. The WMO will be a once in awhile thing (when I change my oil). At the ratio I am looking at, I don't think it will be a problem at all.

Sam

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
My only recommendation is to be 150% sure that you get all the water out of the oil. I was 98% sure when I ran WVO in my truck a few years ago, and it ate my IP. Its a very costly fix even if you are running a differant style engine that doesnt have a IP. Please listen to this and atleast find a good way to dry the oil before you put it in your tank.

Just my .01 and experience,
Tony

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the feedback. Between the settling process and then boiling the oil at 150 degrees, I am quite positive the water will be removed from the oil.

Sam

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Now that you have heard a few horror stories, I think you will get it done right, also, get a fuel sample from your local station, and try to match the PH level of your oils to that. That will ensure you are producing a good mixture.

Tony

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have the room for the electric heater - if I did I would probably just go all out bio-diesel. For now the turkey fryer will work. Takes a bit more attentiveness on my part - but that pales in comparison to the savings. And more importantly the fact I will be decreasing my personal dependence on foreign oil.

Sam

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
The WVO is very combustable when it comes in contact with a flame, be very careful with it, just ask Cumminspride. The turkey fryer might not be the best idea, safety wise. Keep a fire extinguisher around incase. Take care in your endevor, and let us know how your progress is with it.

Tony

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do. My first tank (mixing currently) is with virgin oil. I still need to get the proper filter setup for WVO. Hopefully in August will have everything setup up for the waste oil.

Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts