The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother has a 2004.5 3500, he was on a trip this weekend and he lost power pulling his fish house. So I gave him my truck for the weekend and on the way home I could only get up to 15 mph, I was thinking fuel filter or turbo. But the next dayI took it out and it ran fine no probs. today he came back took it on a 1.5 hour drive and it did it again. So we let it cool off and once again it works fine. so im leanning twards a fuel pump, since there is no cel, or codes. Truck is bone stock, w 168000m Any Ideas?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I would check the fuel filter, that or it could be the in-tank lift pump, its definately a fuel problem

Reactions: King

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I would start by changing the fuel filter as Aaron said, it sounds like the oem in tank lift pump is on its way out. Its an easy repair and would onky take about 3 hours to pop a new stock lp in or better yet do an air dog or fass and your looking at a day install in a realistic world. This is of course pulling the bed off which i think is easidr than dropping the tank.

·
31 Posts
No doubt on pulling the bed off. I just installed a air dog and dropped the tank with it 3/4 full. Pain in the rear. Lol. But it was well worth the extra hassle to upgrade from the stock lp.

·
4,827 Posts
If you have access to a motorcycle jack, you can balance the tank on it just fine. Dropped 2 tanks that way. (on my '97 and '99 Rams when I had to replace the brake line running between the tank and frame rail)

And, to drop a tank that is 3/4 full is nuts.

·
31 Posts
Trust me. It wasnt because i wanted to. Mine went out completly. Tried to siphon but couldnt. Didnt have a trans jack or moto jack. Just me and a buddy of mine. Dumped all the fuel out once i got it on the ground. Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts