The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stearing is loose..i was told theres a small screw you can tighten, to tighten it up. where on the PS pump is it? what size?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Never heard of stearing, but I have heard of stEEring... The screw is on your power steering box, not pump. It's a hex bolt (you'll need hex/allen wrenches) inside of a normal nut. Loosen the nut, then tighten the bolt.

Reactions: 7.3rambaler

·
71 Posts
how sensative is the adjustment of the scew?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
how sensative is the adjustment of the scew?
Not very? I took mine in a few turns, but it was very loose. Need to tighten it up a bit again.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is this bolt?? i looked but i couldn't find a bolt anywhere that had a hex bolt inside it.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
On top of your steering box.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
Look straight down on the drivers side just beyond your radiator. You'll see the steering column where it runs into a small box. Look underneath if you dont see it. You'll see where the steering connects to the bottom of it. There is an allen bolt head ON TOP of the box with a nut on the outside of it. Loosen the lock nut around it about 3 turns, that way the allen/hex bolt wont bottom out on it. Then tighten the allen bolt until you feel pressure as in it's getting tight. Then back it off 1/8 turn and CAREFULLY tighten up the nut around it. And yes the allen bolt WILL move so you really have to pay attention and dont just start tightening like mad or it will tighten down on you and you dont wont that. That should fix you up.

" From a friend named TailGunner on another site that showed me how to do this".....or however you give an author credit............i never was an english major, hahahaha

Yea, go messing with steering PUMP bolts?.....you'll be back with a WHOLE diff set of questions! :D

·
568 Posts
keep in mind that this is a temporary fix . All you are really doing is putting off changing the ps gearbox . After so much adjustment the gears inside will start to eat themselves and you are also losing some turning radius in the process . This will work as a temporary fix , but , you are heading for a gear box in the near future .

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
True, but us PO' rednecks have to get all we can out of our parts while we can.

:haha

·
568 Posts
True, but us PO' rednecks have to get all we can out of our parts while we can.

:haha
Yes I heard that . I just tightened one up on my 95 sd . Normally I would just R&R it , but , bidness hasnt been as good as it has been . :haha:haha

Here is a funny but helpful story : I changed the gear bx on my 97 obs about a year ago . I usually take the old one to the store to make sure I get the right one . So my salesman looks it up and there are about three different ones . I get one that looks just like the one I took in . Get home put it on went to back out of the driveway and surprise the steering now works backwards .:bang WTF so I take it back and we test just about all of them and find one that works right for my truck . I guess if the control arm was forward of the axle it would have worked right.

So when buying a new gearbox take the old one and test the new one to make sure it operates the same as the one you pulled .:D

·
Pulling Sled for hire
174 Posts
Yes I heard that . I just tightened one up on my 95 sd . Normally I would just R&R it , but , bidness hasnt been as good as it has been . :haha:haha

Here is a funny but helpful story : I changed the gear bx on my 97 obs about a year ago . I usually take the old one to the store to make sure I get the right one . So my salesman looks it up and there are about three different ones . I get one that looks just like the one I took in . Get home put it on went to back out of the driveway and surprise the steering now works backwards .:bang WTF so I take it back and we test just about all of them and find one that works right for my truck . I guess if the control arm was forward of the axle it would have worked right.

So when buying a new gearbox take the old one and test the new one to make sure it operates the same as the one you pulled .:D
:haha that's hilarious! It would have messed with my head to get in there and find out it's working backwards. I replaced my steering box with a Redhead brand, and it is awesome. Steering is MUCH easier now.

Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts