The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aleays run Rotella or mobile delvac.......both are ci-4 and cj-4 rated. Any opinions on one over the other or additional recommendations?

·
348 Posts
which rotella? i prefer rotella 5w40 synthetic..its the most common run among 6l. its much better lubricant for the injectors in cold weather also because it is not as thick.
Yea but what about the summwer when it is 105deg f out.

·
Bittersweet Love Affair
23 Posts
i never put anything but the rotella 15w40 in mine until i found the 5w40...helped tons in the winter...but now i am trying the Blue Diamond from the people that make Hot Shot Secret, it is helping a lot but i still have problems to fix before i can give too much feed back, after i install the by pass filtration system on it i should be able to see if i get anywhere close to 100,000mi intervals using their oil anlysis...time will tell....but i still like the rotella15w40 and 5w40 for summer/winter blends, good products from shell!!!! hope that helps:thumbsup

·
3,306 Posts

·
377 Posts
the only way you can tell the difference comparing a 15w-40 diesel oil with another 15w-40 diesel oil is if your truck tells you what it likes or you send the oil to get tested.

If you do want to upgrade to a synthetic diesel oil, rotella 5W-40 is a cheap upgrade.

·
42 Posts
a minor lesson. what does the w stand for? ans. winter. that is the only time that the 5 part of the 5w40 is working winter temps so your eng will start much better with the 5
or even 0 than the 15

·
3,533 Posts
I worked in a shop and the lube-man use to put all the pails of oil that still had oil in then in my truck for me I use to remove the tops and leave them to drain into a jug. It was a mixture of every brand you could think of, all 15/40. I did the same with gear oils.
I used the 15/40 in a truck of mine and at 230,000 took the oil pan off to change the oil pan gasket, I do regular flushes, adding a quart of ATF before I drain the oil but the engine was perfect no sludge, bearings perfect. I change the oil more than most but I keep my stuff longer than most also.
I use shell rotella in my new truck because it is requires CJ oil.

·
82 Posts
I would just like to find an oil that will stand up to the 6l! Every sample I get back says less than 30 weight viscosity after 40 hours. Have Tryed rotella T and mobile 1 both 5-40 synthetic

·
3,306 Posts
I would just like to find an oil that will stand up to the 6l! Every sample I get back says less than 30 weight viscosity after 40 hours. Have Tryed rotella T and mobile 1 both 5-40 synthetic
I've already heard and read about a bunch of guys going to rotella T5 10w-30. After getting their oil analysis reports back...they found that the T5 10w-30 at 5000K stayed at a 30 weight. Where as before when they were running the 5w-40...it would shear to 30 or below like you had said. i just changed my oil a few days ago and put in the 10w-30 and the truck starts way easier with it. Not sure how it will work on a hot summer day around here, but people have said it's been fine in the heat.

·
1,660 Posts
I've already heard and read about a bunch of guys going to rotella T5 10w-30. After getting their oil analysis reports back...they found that the T5 10w-30 at 5000K stayed at a 30 weight. Where as before when they were running the 5w-40...it would shear to 30 or below like you had said. i just changed my oil a few days ago and put in the 10w-30 and the truck starts way easier with it. Not sure how it will work on a hot summer day around here, but people have said it's been fine in the heat.
I've been running 5w30 all year round and never had any issues at all in the summer time with the 30 weight.

i use amsoil and I use the 5w30 over the 10w40 because it has more lubricating properties from having more zinc

Reactions: strokin6L

·
3,306 Posts
I've been running 5w30 all year round and never had any issues at all in the summer time with the 30 weight.

i use amsoil and I use the 5w30 over the 10w40 because it has more lubricating properties from having more zinc
i've been using the valvoline 5w-40 and just put the 10w-30 in just for the winter, but come spring i was gonna drain it and try puttin in mobil 1 5w-40, but i may try the amsoil 5w-30 like you. If the 5w-30 holds up in 90+ degree heat and helps it start good in the cold that'd be great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts