The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I put a fuel pressure gauge in one of the ports on top of where the fuel filter is and get a accurate reading off my lift pump. If so my lift pump is bad , because the is no pressure at idle or wot. please let me know. :93C_peelo

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Yes those ports are exactly for that... Testing before and after the filter. Either way you need to have at least 10 PSI at WOT...

Time for a lift pump...:popcorn:

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I figured that I would need one, what is the best one to get I cant afford a FASS, I think I might get a holly but dont know which one to go with. Any info will be appreciated.

·
1,189 Posts
holley blue or black and a big line kit from vulcan performance and you will be good to go

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Vulcan Big Line kit and a AirTex Pump...:poke:

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much $$$$$ will all that cost

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

·
1,189 Posts
what pressure does that pump supply, and does it need a regulator?

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
01quadcab said:
what pressure does that pump supply, and does it need a regulator?
Stock replacement... It meant to be put back in stock location even with metric threads for banjo bolts... It puts out the stock volume and pressure ~14-15 PSI.

I called AirTex directly and talked to there tech dept. about the pumps. They say it meets and exceed stock pump abilities...:Thumbup:

·
1,189 Posts
sounds nice what kind of warranty? When I have to change my holley I may just updated to this but will need the adapters for my big line kit as I just ordered the one for a holley and saved a few bucks. But I should be able to get them at a local parts store. But my holley been running for a year no issues

·
53 Posts
If you can, it would be a good time to go with a good lift pump back by the tank with a Draw Straw, at least 3/8" line, a big line from the filter to the IP, and eliminate all the banjo fittings. Vulcan can help you do all of this. And, yes there are two ports on the top of your fuel filter for pressure before and after the filter. It would be best to get the reading post filter, so you can monitor restriction.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mopar1973Man said:
AirTex pump... ($149)
http://www.dieseldistributorsusa.com/Airtex-OEM-Replacement-Pump-p/atlp.htm

And The Vulcan Big Line Kit...($114)
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-12/Vulcan--Pusher-Pump/Detail

So for... 149 + 114 = $263 Bucks you can upgrade you fuel system without the big price...:Thumbup:
Thats not as bad as I expected. Do I have to get the big line kit to go with that pump or can I just put that one on? Id rather just put the lift pump on right now if I can. But thanx for the info...:Thumbup:

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Well this is what is SHOULD look like for setup...

According to Airtex you can mount the Airtex pump is the factory position without any mods or bombing required. It's a direct replacement part.

I understand the tight money problem... I'm in the same boat too. I'm tight to get the funds together right now to get a Airtex pump myself. My WOT pressure is right at 10 PSI. But since Diesel prices are soring so fast here in Idaho I took my money and got the Goldwing fixed up. It's going to be cold riding but its 40-45 MPG compared to 16-20 MPG in the Cummins...

But the Big Line kit is worth it...:Thumbup:

·
53 Posts
The big lines, eliminated banjo bolts, and fittings will go a long way to reducing restriction, increasing flow, and keeping the pumps fed and cooled properly. Mounting it back by the tank will make sucking fuel from the tank easier on the pump, because they push better than they pull.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts