The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I installed a t/c lockup switch a couple of days ago and it isn't working like it should. If I am sitting with the truck in drive and flip the switch the t/c will lock in first gear and stall the truck. I thought it would only lock when the truck shifted to second. The t/c locks and unlocks with the switch just fine. It is just that it will do it in first gear. Any ideas?

B

·
0 Posts
I was under the impression that those TC switches would lock them in any gear and that one of the downsides to having one was if you had to stab the brakes real quick to stop it could cause you problems.

·
504 Posts
I know on the fords that it will lock in any gear. It works with a grounding signal. So it does not matter what gear it is in. You can have the truck in park and flip the switch and hear the converter lock up.

·
3,514 Posts
did you jump the relay, or leave it in? Not sure what difference that will make, but I'm sure it would do something.
sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I jumped the relay. I was just under the impression that as long as I switched it on while in 1st gear the tc wouldn't lock until it shifted to second but then wouldn't unlock until I flipped the switch off. I have read that in a couple different places. If that isn't the case that is fine. I just want to make sure it is right.

·
3,514 Posts
Thats what I thought as well. The stock torque converter clutch isn't supposed to be able to lock up until you hit 18mph. You have one of Dave's converters in there though, maybe there is something different about that. I believe the DTT's do the same things, and that suncoast converters you can ground out in 1st and it won't lock up until 18mph or 2nd. Maybe call Dave Goerend and see what he says.
Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts