The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Long time reader but first time poster. A neighbor of mine has a 01' 24v that is having problems with the glow plugs/heater. He says he can ground the two relays and make the glow plugs/heater come on. However, they will not cycle on by turning the ignition key on. Are the relays bad or is their something else to look for? (fuses,Fuse links, grounds etc...). Any help greatly appreciated. Happy veterans day to all the service men and women :usflag

B

·
0 Posts
It could be the relays, IAT sensor, or ECM. Although I would be more inclined to think it is the IAT "intake air temperature" sensor. It senses the temperature inside the intake and tells the ECM when to turn the relays on and off.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Bouncer said:
It could be the relays, IAT sensor, or ECM. Although I would be more inclined to think it is the IAT "intake air temperature" sensor. It senses the temperature inside the intake and tells the ECM when to turn the relays on and off.

:iagree

I still wouldn't rule out the ECM doing something goofy though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. There appears to be two sensors in the intake. Which one is the intake air temp. sensor? (IAT). Thanks in advance.

·
454 Posts
Gear Jammer said:
Thanks for the info. There appears to be two sensors in the intake. Which one is the intake air temp. sensor? (IAT). Thanks in advance.

One is the IAT sonsor and the other is the MAP sensor which senses turbo boost. Get the Chiltons/Haynes service manual it will tell you which is which, but the full dodge service manual from genoe's garage is better detailed.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Here is a pic of the location of the MAP and IAT sensors...

Grid heater are triggered by the IAT temps. If the IAT sensors sees temps below 60*F - 65*F it will cause the grid heater to trigger... If the sensor is oil coated then it might not see temps properly...

There is two relays on the fender that trigger the power for the grid heaters. It has been know that these relay will fail now and then... a Ford starter solenoid will work in replacement.

Then follow the 2 heavy black leads to the battery you'll find a fuse-able link in the line you'll need to check if power is getting to the relays.

Grid heater them self don't normally fail but it has happen. Check for continuity across the grid heaters to see if they haven't burnt out...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am having the same problems with my truck...the grid heater isn't working. I'll check sensors and relays and make sure im getting power to the grid heater.

Thanks for the help Moparman and Bouncer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts