The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'95 7.3 Ran good all day, left last job and truck started to miss badly. Check engine light is on. Truck starts right up but has bad miss, sounds almost light a flooded gasser. I had to put it in low range to have enough power to pull it on the trailer to get it home.

My first guess is under valve cover wiring. Never had them off yet it might be time. Any help or ideas??

·
622 Posts
sounds like it defaulted to "limp home mode" or maybe you had a HPOP failure it is really hard to know anything without seeing it in person, fine out what the code or codes are and go from there.... :Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yep try to get the codes and see what they say.

Off hand sounds like a UVC harness though. It does happen.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Can you pull codes without having a special code reader?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Short answer: no.

You need a Snap-On, NGS, Auto Enginuity scanner, or one with very similar capabilities.
My buddy has a program called "Auto Tap" about $600 and works great on everything EXCEPT our trucks. It will do some data logging, and pull hard codes, but wouldn't even pull soft codes from my truck, and was "iffy" on the info it did give.

Our trucks are not strictly OBD-II compliant so make sure the code reader you're using specifies support for your truck.

·
0 Posts
Dave...when my 99 was doing that, I threw a CPS at it first...didn't help. Ended up being my pcm was going "tango uniform"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
Can you pull codes without having a special code reader?
One other option: Some tuners also pull codes. Even if it's vin locked to another truck for tuning the 1705 super chips tuner will pull codes, if you can borrow 1.

·
Registered
74 Posts
when my 96 valve cover harness went bad the truck just died and wouldnt start. i dunno if it was cause it completly burnt a pin thats just my 2 cents but i agree pull the codes and get some more info

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Im with Loco....valve cover harness is prolly junk. My '95 did that and if you start it you could put your hand on the one exhaust manifold and you could tell that those cylinders on that side werent firing. Hopefully you lucked out (unlike me of coarse) and you dont have to rebuild the engine harness. Mine burnt the plug up that plugs into the valve cover gasket. I went to international and got a pin and plug kit and had to make a new one.

·
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not having any luck with a scan tool. :damnit I can find folks with the one that will do '99 and up but not the '94-'97.

If the UVC harness is bad, can you see signs of it before yanking the VC's?

The truck won't stay running long enogh to take it off the trailer by itself. I'm guessing it was warm enough yesterday that it kept running.

·
58 Posts
Pull all the connections and check for melted/burnt pins. Also some say you can smell the burnt wires if you remove the oil fill cap and take a whiff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts