The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking this for a buddy of mine. He has an 01' Cummins HO, it has injectors prolly 100 horse or so, had them when he bought the truck. He is looking at a Hypertech Programmer, for right now just because it is what he can afford. Can't afford the comp box, so what the deal on this programmer, would all be well with the injectors? Thanks

·
393 Posts
The hypertech would probably work. It will probably cause a boost code if it doesn't have a boost fitting already installed on the turbo.
I would recommend an EZ or van aaken.
If he doesn't have gauges have him save up and spend the money on an edge juice w/attitude. It is a great deal if you are looking for gauges and a chip.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Got Diesel,

HP wise and performance overall the Van Aaken will kick the Hypertec's fanny pretty hard, and for basically the same price it's a bargain too. Give us a call if you want and we'll be glad to help you or him on questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has gauges already. He also has a boost elbow, and will spool to 33psi right now. The only reason he is thinking he is getting the hypertech is because the guy is giving it to him for $200. The guy bought and then needs to get rid of it. Otherwise he would be going for something else. The hypertech will only be temporary until he can afford something more around the 5 or 6 hundred dollar range.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Tell him to save the money and put towards a VanAaken. I doubt he will be happy with the Hypertech. $200 will go a long way towards the box. I ran the VanAaken before I went to the Comp and I liked it. Tell hinm to check ebay. They have good deals on boxes all the time.

·
393 Posts
The nice thing about the van aaken or ez is that you can get your money back out of it when he wants to upgrade. I don't think it will be as easy to get rid of the hypertech.

·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okie dokie I will let him know your thoughts. thanks everyone.

So you all think that Van Aken is the way for him to go in the end huh?

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
I would prefer the Edge, but the VA box is more affordable and only slightly lower on power.Actually it is better for towing than the EZ but a little lower on top end HP.

·
345 Posts
I would go with the van Aaken R box or if he is wanting more power the Quadzilla Xzilliraider. Both are pretty cheap and would be MUCH better than the Hypertech. We have both in stock, send me a PM if you would like a price.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Got Diesel,

The VA is the way for him to go. Be cautious on the ebay thing there is one company selling refurbed old style VA boxes that plug into the injection pump connector and not the Data link out there.

Mark @ DPPI

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
i have a hypertech with 125 injectors and it does what i want. i don't need the all that power, yeah it would be nice to have. the hypertech set on 3 with the injectors will block out the sun:93C_peelo it all boils down to what you like and want to do to your truck.

·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, acutally he found a box on ebay. I think that it was some sort of Quadzilla box. I personally dont' know much about it, i think he said it was similar to the Ez, so he should be doing ok. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
how much hp/torque does the van aaken box give? i have a superchips. does the van aaken stack with this or do they cancel out? could i get some prices on the VA box, edge comp, and tst PM 3? thanks

i have a 2001 dodge 6 speed HO

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
The superchip is a programmer....a comp taps the pump, so they'd stack...how much smoke do you get outta your superchip? Are you interested in a comp??? let me know...

Nathaniel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts