The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, I think I am going to intstall propane as my next mod, I am interested how many of the Garage members are using it and what they think.

Josh

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would go a different route... Turbo, maybe save for injectors... Just say no to drugs unless your drag racing.

Maybe Water injection? I love mine, almost free to fill up, give about 40hp with 40% meth... I should let you barrow one of my chips. You might be happier with a new chip rather then the bully dog... Give me a call next week if you want and we can get together... I really love my water injection.

LOL OOPS... Chelsea was logged in...LOL This is CSIPSD... But if you need to call my wife feel free...LOL

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CSIPSD, thanks for the input, a new turbo is on my list mostly because I tow alot and that dam surge kills me, when Im climbing a grade and have to get out of it because of the turbo, I get a little pist. What chip have you been most impressed with, I am mostly concerned with towing.

Josh

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
ive got pane on my 6L and its like a set of injectors that you can turn on and off. got the powershot2000 kit. right price and great customer service! very easy install too! bout an hr.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
cdiesel said:
I would go a different route... Turbo, maybe save for injectors... Just say no to drugs unless your drag racing.

Maybe Water injection? I love mine, almost free to fill up, give about 40hp with 40% meth... I should let you barrow one of my chips. You might be happier with a new chip rather then the bully dog... Give me a call next week if you want and we can get together... I really love my water injection.

LOL OOPS... Chelsea was logged in...LOL This is CSIPSD... But if you need to call my wife feel free...LOL

LOL LOL

·
6,337 Posts
ELKHUNTR said:
CSIPSD, thanks for the input, a new turbo is on my list mostly because I tow alot and that dam surge kills me, when Im climbing a grade and have to get out of it because of the turbo, I get a little pist. What chip have you been most impressed with, I am mostly concerned with towing.

Josh

I run Tadd's tune's at Elite Diesel, Have run everyone else and his stuff works best for me... I have a DI chip you can try for a bit if ya want. Let me know!

I dont like pain because it is hard ON EVERYTHING... Rod's, bearings, pistions...

You cant control the injection timing...:Thumbup: Not to mention it costs about $2.00 a gal or better...

·
622 Posts
Propane in my opinion is not a good route:badidea: , things that come to mind is that cylender pressures are really high and will stretch head bolts also put alot of abuse on rod and crank bearings, the other thing is that propane is over $2.00 per ganllon and diesel is almost 3 in some areas so when you use it you just raised the cost of operating more than a good set of injectors if you dont go extreme, for the same price of the Propan kit you can get the turbonetics torque master turbo with a 91mm compressor wheel BWD sells them for $1200, or better yet the stealth HPOP will give you good realiable power for alittle bit more, i was reading about 4cstr, a member here at the garage put that on with stock injectors stock turbo and some good tuning made 333 HP and 697 TQ, look around before you commit, call and ask lots of questions.

·
94 Posts
"things that come to mind is that cylender pressures are really high and will stretch head bolts also put alot of abuse on rod and crank bearings"

What documentation do you have to support this statement???

Elkhuntr.

Do a search on propane injection, and once you sort through the opinions of those who have "heard" of things but dont have any actual experience using a product, you will find that those who have propane injection, love it, use it all the time and have used it for many years/miles successfully. It is not for everyone, but for those just looking for extra power (around 80 hp or so) for towing and fuel economy..........it's hard to beat for the price. The cleaner oil due to reduced soot is an extra bonus. Then again, you could spend in excess of 10k for other items and their supporting modifications.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would get a custom tuned chip first.
1 It will add more power than you could with drugs
2 Its always on
3 Its proven safe technology

·
6,337 Posts
powershotone said:
"things that come to mind is that cylinder pressures are really high and will stretch head bolts also put alot of abuse on rod and crank bearings"

What documentation do you have to support this statement???

Elkhuntr.

Do a search on propane injection, and once you sort through the opinions of those who have "heard" of things but don't have any actual experience using a product, you will find that those who have propane injection, love it, use it all the time and have used it for many years/miles successfully. It is not for everyone, but for those just looking for extra power (around 80 hp or so) for towing and fuel economy..........it's hard to beat for the price. The cleaner oil due to reduced soot is an extra bonus. Then again, you could spend in excess of 10k for other items and their supporting modifications.
OK Boss... It is a Known Fact that ProPAIN raises CP's, as does NO2 and Water-Meth... No guess work there. No one is talking about spending 10K, Who's making things up now? What I am saying is get a well tunes chip, maybe water injection and you will be MUCH happier in the long run.

As far as the soot comment, I have seen many trucks with proPAIN come in for oil changes with oil as black if not worse then a truck running a set of injectors.

·
622 Posts
Powershotone,

I didn't say it was not fun and it will give you power but how do you know i dont have anyexperience with it? before you much assuptions you better do some research.... but to elaborate on my statement when is diesel fuel introduced into the cylender? i varies in engines but it is just past TDC when is Propane? it is pulled in as a mixture with the air just like a Gasser, so even before the diesel fuel is introduced to start combustion pressures have already started rising due to the fact the propane is causeing the air to heat up hotter during compression, when you get the engine high in the RPM range and have load on the motro to cause injection pressure to rise cylender pressures may exceed what the the engine can handle, that is why there are head stud kits for engine running high boost lots of fuel.. that is all i was saying.... that there are alternate routes that are more cost effective. i never intended on starting a argument...

·
94 Posts
apologize.......your correct I do not know if you do in fact have experience with it....but the fact is , if you do a search....most people who post on the subject do not have experience using it and thus just repeat comments that they have read or "heard" about. There are lots of fish tales about a lot of modifications. Those that use propane or have used it.......have different tales to tell.

It's kinda hard to point a finger at one modification. Most anything other than stock......including hot chips raise cylinder pressures.......

A common misconception about propane is that it can ignite on it's own.........it needs the diesel event to happen first before it can ignite. The key is to use a small controlled amount of propane........so as not to create unsafe conditions . The same scenerio can happen with too much diesel fuel alone.
Diesel doesn't ignite under compression.....it ignites under high temperature and pressure in an gaseous oxygen or oxide rich environment. Propane doesn't burn the diesel earlier rather it burns it faster which makes it seem like it burns earlier. Unburned heavy large molecule hydrocarbons exit the engine as soot and gaseous soot.....black smoke. Higher boost levels provide two things, more pressure to combust the fuel earlier and depending on the inlet air temperature hopefully more air density....more oxygen to burn more fuel. Propane helps achieve the same results (in a completely different manner) at lower boost levels by causing the diesel to burn faster.

CSIPSD.........I was not replying to you with that post.
Someone suggested injectors (1500) and a turbo (2200) now you need a fuel system, transmission, new chip, etc etc etc to make the truck run properly, the figure I have read from those who have modified in this matter is close to 10K by the time they get it running properly.

You are passionate about your water injection... that's cool...I am passionate about my propane injection.... The original poster did not inquire about water injection......he asked about propane.

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all the input, reading the sales pitches from the sellers of Propane kits it sounds good, but I am thinking its not for me. My goal is to get 400,000 minimum out of this engine so I wont be doing anything that leans toward engine failure. Also the fact is I am not lacking power, the truck does its job towing my trailer just fine, but I am always interested in more power and I love driving my big red 8000 lb. Hot Rod. Maybe a new 6 pos chip is for me, I guess these BullyDog tuners are pretty old school in the world of PSD technology.

Josh

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Actually pane is not bad when it is set up right!! That is the key you want to make sure that your not tossing in to much pain and your chip or programmer is running advanced timing and even timing that is to far retarded will cause problems with CP’s. I would rather run Pane than Nitrous or Water…. Pane is sweet for towing and MPG, if you don’t want to spend the money for injectors and turbo. I however do agree with Joe, I would dump the programmer, and go with one of Tadd’s chips Elite Diesel first, but Pane after that is not that bad too, just stay away from the MSD pane system.

We should really start a thread about the different drugs out there and what the differences are during combustion…….Water, Water/Methanol, Nitrous (wet and dry), and Propane……

·
1,581 Posts
Propane will not hurt anything if used carefully, in fact, it will help keep soot out of the oil. Just make sure you don't try to use it for massive power gains, it is too volatile for big power in a diesel. Most programmers offer chips with modified timing curves for propane use.

·
535 Posts
i have never used it and probably never will and i assume that its safe to a point just ike everything else but take in account i hate anything i have to refill thats why the car is gettin turbo and injectors and a tune instead of nitrous sure the car will only do about 450hp with turbo and around 500 with spray but thats just something else that has to be refilled... i love when i get called out for a race and i accept it and then the dude says... "uh well not tonight the bottle is empty.

·
Registered
424 Posts
ELKHUNTR said:

Josh
Josh-

here is my sales pitch-best towing set up period

DP Tuner or Elite chip
Spearco intercooler
Turbonetics replacement turbo with a custom .84 housing-no surge even at altitude, and adding the intercooler will reduce EGT's. The custom .84 housing will spool down low even in the mountains. With stock injectors, we have customers spooling as low as 1300 RPM. When you are home, you are 347 ft elevation, so response will be great.

CSI has a .84 to try with his injectors to see how it holds up to his abuse.

·
6,337 Posts
Installing this weekend if anyone wants to come by and help...LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts