The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested if anyone has any experience with adding a propane outlet to their camper. I bought a hitch mounted grill for my 5ver. I though I could just tap into the existing gas line. I did this and left the regulator on the grill. I experienced very low pressure at the grill. I thought this was because the propane was being regulated twice ( the camper regulator and the grill regulator). I took the grill regulator out of the mix and I am still not getting any pressure. Any thoughts, anyone already do this.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
I would look to see what the camper is regulated to. Then compare that to what the requirements of the grill are. Could be that the camper regulator is dropping the pressure too low. Also there is a possibility that the camper regulator is bad? I don't know about this install. This is where I would start. If you can test the line pressure at your hitch install that would give you an accurate number to go off of. Did you use the same size line as what was on the camper? If you increase the pipe size you will decrease the operating pressure. I don't want a debate about pipe size vs pressure. This is just what I know to be true from past experiences.

Reactions: 06cummins4x4

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to have to run a high pressure line all the way to the back.

·
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
633 Posts
I would run a regulated line to the back. Regulate it to the grill requirements, or slightly higher. Use a gauge at the back end to indicate operating pressure. I would plumb one in as a measure of future diagnosis. Run a separate line with its own regulator, preferably an adjustable one. I wouldn't be comfortable with a high pressure line to the rear. Not to say that there is anything wrong with that if properly installed.

Reactions: 06cummins4x4

·
1,836 Posts
Normal propane regulation is 11 in water colum, it is easy to make a manometer with tubing and water. Check your tubing for kinks.

The regulator on the grill may have a different pressure, if it does an experienced lpg service can change the orifce to work with the pressure on the camper. Make sure the line is protected from road trash.

Compressed natural gas is 7 in WC - there are a few people doing that.

keydl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts