The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys and gals......there has been a debate for a long time about towing a truck/tractor/or anything for that matter, that has a turbo.

Here is a quote from another site on proper towing......

The muffler (on turbocharged engines) should either be taped over the end, use ziplock bags, or some kind of sturdy wind/water proof material. Going down the road, wind forced backwards through the exhaust stack, may actually spin the turbocharger, and burn out the bushings in it. I know I've had it happen to me before.

WHAT is your take on this...............please keep it civil so it dont get locked or moderated......

:bubbakevin:bubba

·
5,365 Posts
whats the problem w/ it blowing backwards ? theres no load & no HEAT.
its not like water is getting IN to the turbo (which WOULD be catastrophic).

ill call BS on the whole idea...even on a truck w/ stacks the turbo is so far
away that i bet it barely turns if at all !

heres a challange...have the guy that wrote this blow thru his intake and see
if he can get the blades turning.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
:haha

I just dont think it would if any spin enuf to do any kinda damage. put oil on your fingers and rub them together. I bet you will get tired before the oil does :happymugs

·
2,821 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that there is nothing to worry about. Chris

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotta be more people with an opinion on this.....back to the top

:bubbakevin:bubba

·
391 Posts
Of course they are designed to spin, but they will not be lubricated since the engine isn't running. Over time, the oil will drip off the bearings and I guess it would be possible to overheat. On the other hand, how much air could go through it? It seems like the tow vehicle would block much of the wind anyway.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
the air has to flow to move the blades even if the exhaust is pointed into the airstream there is no where for the air to flow the pipe goes to the head that has valves to stop it (RIGHT ?) unless my thinking is flawed!

·
85 Posts
I had a boot blow off of a 12 valve down on the intercooler. We didn't think anything about it and put it back on the trailer to pull it home from the truck pull. It ruined the top turbo, took the bearings out of it. Evan slow turning for a time will wipe the oil away and its good by.

·
Misplaced Alaskan
32 Posts
The reason they should not spin unless the engine is running is that there is no oil presure to lube it.

turboprop powered planes tie the props so they don't spin in the wind for the same reason.

This being said. I doubt that you could get a breeze up the tail pipe of most trucks (especially those of us that still have our dpf) to spin anything. Even straignt piped there is nowhere for the air to go so it can't very well go up the pipe unless there is an opening at the other end. :thinking

Do what you want but I think it's a waste of time. :weird

·
201 Posts
For this to happen all the stars have to be aligned. The air would have to be forced down the pipe, trough the muffler to the turbine. Then from the turbine to the exhaust manifold, then air deadheads against a closed exhaust valve most of the time. But let’s say the air flows trough an open exhaust valve into the cylinder, but then again the air deadheads against a closed intake valve. But there is a chance the exhaust and intake valves are both open, the air now has to flow trough the intake manifold and possibly trough in inner or after cooler. Then on past the compressor, intake pipe and finally out the air filter.

All the air flowing down the pipe to the turbo has to then flow out somewhere else or there is no air movement.

I guess it could happen but it seems like a long shot.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
having a lowbed thats transported maybe 4,000+ pieces of equipment i have NEVER covered an exhaust stack and never had a single turbo failure related to it.

I have had a faring blow off of a road tractor loaded backwards on the trailer but thats a completely different issue. Good thing it was going to the scrap yard.

Like was said above you have to have a flow across the turbo. In a engine that still runs under its own power the odds of that happening are VERY Slim.

·
48 Posts
The problem here is not the turbo, its the diesel, The fuelpump will pump fuel in the cylinders if the engine turns to long without starting. A normal start should not be a problem. When on the batteries the RPM are much slower, and not as dangerous as towing at higher RPM. Thinking about it if there is high RPM the engie will run the oil pump and the turbo will be lubricated without possibly turning. I was told that by someone that the glow plugs must be good to towstart a diesel.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
The problem here is not the turbo, its the diesel, The fuelpump will pump fuel in the cylinders if the engine turns to long without starting. A normal start should not be a problem. When on the batteries the RPM are much slower, and not as dangerous as towing at higher RPM. Thinking about it if there is high RPM the engie will run the oil pump and the turbo will be lubricated without possibly turning. I was told that by someone that the glow plugs must be good to towstart a diesel.
? I don't think you understand what the question was. I think there is a trailer involved!

·
48 Posts
Now I understand, Air goes in to the turbo and the exhaust will suck out the air, causing the turbo to rotate? But the air has to go through the engine to cause the vanes to turn. The engine valves are like shut off's. and if the Turbo has a bypass its usualy shut. I think there will hardly be any air hitting the vanes of the turbo.

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
im with Don on this one. a turbo can spin backwards at road speed. its not going to hurt it in the least way turning one way or another at such a low speed from the air getting to it. when i tow my tractor i never cap the stack UNLESS it is raining.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts