The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
Any nod- dual rated transfluid which is rated for Mercon.

Is I believe the ford wording. So basicly ONLY Mercon.

·
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Ive Got The Amsoil Thats Mercon 4 Or 5 I Cant Member But Was Just Makin Sure B4 I Go Putting It In... Some Guys On Another Unnamed Board Said It Was The Wrong Stuff...

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
Some use it... but for the cost of the Trans I would stick with mercon.

Mercon IV or Mercon V is not correct according to the TSB's and owners manual or trans dipstick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
you want to use the MERCRON/DEXTRON III fluid do not use anything that is MERCRON V unless you have the $$ to rebuild tranny. Some have had the dealer try this switch up and it cost them the tranny down the road

·
Registered
65 Posts
DONT USE MERCON V!!!

Get ATF Dexron III / Mercon only.

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
looks like the torque drive is not mercon v rated but is mercon rated, looks like the right stuf, the Amsoil ATF however is up for debate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
amsoil

i have used the amsoil atf fluid in mine for a while now and it works awesone. i reciently did a bunch of upgrades to my stock unit after 140000 miles and tricked it out to haul a very large trailer . the tranny is done strong and reliable and i switched to amsoil super-shift fluid and havent had one lick of trouble. my 2 cents and experience is the amsoil works the best. im sure other fluids will work as well also but i have to stick with what worked best for me.

·
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is there a dealer on here i can talk to? i may just stroll down to the ford dealer at lunch and ask em

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you have a 4r100, then use ATF Dexron III/Mercon.

Its easy as that. Dont use Mercon V.

·
Registered
148 Posts
anything that is dual rated mercron/mercron V should not be used, it contains additives that will disolve the adhesive that holds the clutch disks together making them come apart and destroy everything ONLY USE FLUID THATS MERCRON/DEXTRON III plain and simple :rules: :deadhorse

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
:agreed:

And the dealer won't necessarily know that at the parts counter, or service manager.

Infact most won't know why it shouldn't be used, as many have found out, they often themselves use the WRONG fluid.

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
Direct quote from ford Service DVD:
CAUTION:
Use only Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent meeting MERCON® specification. The use of any other fluids can result in the transmission failing to operate in a normal manner or failure.

Refill the transmission.

Add 6.2 liters (6.5 quarts) of Motorcraft MERCON ® Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent meeting MERCON® specification to the transmission through the fluid filler tube.

·
17 Posts
Does anyone know the capacity on the tranny for a drain and refill? Is there a drain plug on the pan or is there a filter inside the pan that also needs to be changed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't remember the capacity for a drain and refill. That number will change if you drain the torque converter also. And yes there is a drain plug in the pan and there is a filter to change in the trans. The pan gasket is the reusable type though.

FOMOGO

·
17 Posts
FOMOGO said:
I don't remember the capacity for a drain and refill. That number will change if you drain the torque converter also. And yes there is a drain plug in the pan and there is a filter to change in the trans. The pan gasket is the reusable type though.

FOMOGO
Na, im not touching the TC...I don't have the means to Drain & refill it.

I just need to find out what the drain/refill capacity is?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts