The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about no-lockup converter. I have a 92 IH bus with 7.3 and AT 545 trans. Do I need to change trans or am I OK for cross country trips with the AT545? :shrug:

The AT 545 is a SAE# 3 bellhousing. What other SAE#3 trans would work?
:thanks:

·
590 Posts
lot's and lot's of 545 tranny's going up and down the road. cheap to fix, and easy to find a replacement for. they may not be the best performers, but they are fairly solid tranny's. service it out, and hit the road!

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The AT545 does indeed use an SAE #3 housing, but the 7.3L has a #2 to #3 adapter bolted between the FW housing and the trans, so you *can* use a MT 643 with their #2 SAE housing.

The AT is a durable trans, and IMO you should NOT spend the major $$$$$$$$$$$ to change it for a different trans for any reason, especially for a lock-up converter, it's simply not worth it, not at all.

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John_G do I understand you right that International use an adapter plate on the Motor mount to go from a #2 to the #3 Trans. I have not look that close for an adapter. The one thing for changing trans was some of the #2 trans had overdrive with more gears (6 speed) and were set up more so for a RV use.

Thanks for this information on the housing.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Yes, most do step from a #2 to a #3.

As I recall, all DTs have a #2 standard, and a #2 to #3 adapter to step down if needed. I *think* a SAE #1 is optional with the DTs as well, but possibally only in the larger truck models.

The V-8s all had #2 FW housings as far as I know, with adapters obviously, if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts