The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was aware of all the common lingo used here but I have to admit, when it comes to a truck puking i have no idea what you all mean. My '04 has a bad EGR valve I believe(been told). Most commonly at stops the truck sputters and spits small clouds of smoke before returning to normal operation. What are the symptoms of "puking"? what are the causes? I read on another thread that streached bolts is one way. Is this a possibility if using a mild tune or even in stock mode or is this a high pressure problem. Thanks and sorry for the dumb question!

·
172 Posts
Puking is generally know as coolant overflowing out of the Degas bottle leaving white chalky residue in your engine compartment.

Cause can be a few things such as: Overfilled Coolant above fill line, Bad Degas Cap, Head Gasket or EGR Cooler problems, running a hot tune with a tuner and boiling coolant.

I'm lucky I have never had this problem (knock on wood). Check your coolant level and look to see if you have dried up coolant in your engine compartment. You should know if you have a puker real quick.

·
571 Posts
It's occured in both stock tuned trucks and performance tuned trucks. (more frequently in tuned trucks)

·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Road Salt

unfortunatly all vehicles here have a white residue under the hoods this time of year due to tremendous amounts of road salt. Especially my trucks, as i plow snow. So that is not a legit test. If another sure sign is low coolant levels that would work as an indicator. What does it feel like when this happens? will any guages moniter this? is there any correlation between EGT's and puking or boost and puking? Thanks again for all your help!

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
You get salt on top of the engine? White spots on the coolant reservoir, I think, would be hard to get from plowing, etc. But even if you are right, the smell of coolant is unmistakable. Puking trucks all smell the same!

Ralph

·
571 Posts
Haven't noticed any other signs such as high egt's (i always watch them like a hawk and never let them go over 1200 usually not over 1000) and boost level doesn't seem to be any higher than any other time.
Mine usually does it while I'm towing with my tow tune or on it hard with my street tune.
I'm currently in the middle of a test to see if it is doing it tuned stock but I haven't towed my trailer yet. So far no puking stock and running it hard.

·
NAVY
40 Posts
ok im new here but I bought a 04 6.0 last week all stock as far as I know right now, but i have ordered a tuner and am going to purchase exhaust for it, but my question is i got on it pretty good the other day when I got it home i ate my brother in laws 02 cummins (that has exhaust a new turbo and a smarty tuner on it)for lunch he was poed to say the least but got back to the house and poped the hood and as you say it had puked no coolant in the resevoir? so what do I need to do now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
first see if theres any warrenty on it and if there is get it to the dealer to have it checked out. how many miles ya got on her?

·
NAVY
40 Posts
no warranty got 75,000 on it and dont think the dealer i bought it from is going to help me out at all long story

1 - 10 of 10 Posts